Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our plan A for this trip was to leave the dock at 7am Sat and troll from the 20 out looking for a wahoo.Due to crappy water conditions scrapped that and headed towards th Poormans.Started looking for blueline tlies and shortly found a mess of them.We caught a near 4 man limit and just then the bite and tide slowed way down.We also boated a nice gaffer on a float.I wanted to be in the Wash by evening so began running south looking for pots or signs of life.Fished several pots that im sure were pretty well picked over that only had micro mahis.Did have a beautiful gaffer that made a loop around a float line like he knew what he was doing and set himself free.

Made it to the Wash about 4pm.I had growing concerns with the amount of fuel i had since my flowscan had stopped working a few trips back and my gauge was acting funny,really started second guessing my calculations and wondering if i made a mistake:eek:.Given my fuel concerns i decided to stay away from trolling and just get on the chunk earlier than planned.This was my first ever attempt at chunking so wasnt sure how it would go.So we moved just outside and started throwing chunks.15 minutes later a crewmember sees something in the slick.With all 4 of us at full attention 2 full grown bigeyes swim right past my transom creating a unreal panic and moment of chaos.Ive never seen an animal like that and couldnt hardly comprehend what i was looking at while this was happening.Minutes later a freeline gets ripped from my hand and its him.He starts screaming as i increase drag to 24 pounds to keep him from making it to china.Didnt slow him down and at this point im trying to figure what the hell to do as i didnt expect this to happen.Well i only had 80 fluoro so after a few intense moments bye bye Mr Bigeye.Thats ok tho i will remember that momeny the rest of my life.Simply awesome!

No more bigeye love fo us but we did get into a steady pick of small yft over the next couple of hours.We sifted through them and ended up keeping 4 yft between 28 and 30'" and releasing about a dozen between 25 and 26 15/16" lol.After a few hours the bite died and we continued chunking all night till the bait was gone.So now its almost 3am and time to chill for an hour or 2 and get ready to troll towards home at first light.As the sun started cracking and given the fuel concern i set a direct course for oc inlet and started trolling my line to conserve fuel.Made it threw the bigeye hole through the canyon without a sniff.As we continued heading to shallower water i dropped a flasher off a 32 planer in case a hoo was around.In my mind im wondering if that crappy water is down here too as i couldnt really see into it yet.We trolled for about 2 hours and were approaching the 30 line.Not a sniff not another boat around for hours and crunching numbers hoping i can make the inlet.At this point i was just trolling to maximize fuel economy for a couple hours.As i hit the 30 line my wahoo rod started screaming.Our first wahoo yes!We battle him and once boatside the shocker came that he was a damn slob of a wahoo especially being our fist ever.Couple eager moments later we sink the steal and drag him over the gunnel in disbelief.Packed up and headed for the inlet as happy as could be.23 blue tiles,one nice gaffer,0/1 on bigeye tuna,4/4 on yft keepers and many releases and a 64" pig of a wahoo.A wondrfull trip with many incredible firsts.Special thanks to Mike Avery of Seaduction charters for all he great tilefish advice he has given me the past year and special thanks to 23gulfstream for the wahoo pointers.Huge huge success,its been a great season on the Tightrope and i feel so fortunate to have been so lucky.Theses are the moments that make the sleepless nights and hours and hours of prep work worth it.:thumbup:pics to follow.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just parked boat i try not to let fuel sit in tank so not sure however on way in my floscan started working so i could really dial in my economy.Was most nervous approaching inlet i blew through full tilt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts