Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:confused: I have a 1994 Johnson 88hp motor. I have determined that power is getting to the tilt motor when the up/down switches are activated.... can I assume the tilt motor is bad?

I have located a replacement motor for $93 Seiler Marine.....any experiences with them.....?

The steps I think I can follow to get access to the tilt motor are below..... any comments? I have a picture but was unable to figure out how to post it...

1. Ensure the motor is in the locked up - yes.
1. Turn the pressure relierf screw releiving the pressure
3. Compress the the center piston
4. Remove the bolts from each side of the unit
5. Rock the tilt unit out and then access can be had to all the tilt motor bolts....
6. Install the new motor wih new O ring....

Thanks all for any help

Bill Althoff

View attachment 1296

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you hear a clicking sound coming from the front of the engine when it is engaged? What I've found is there are two selanoids....one for up the other for down and they usually go bad before the motor. You will see three thick wire (blue/green/black) send juice directly through them to figure out if the motor is bad, that way the switch and selanoids are out of the mix.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Not familiar with your particular motor but on my 200 HP you have to unbolt the transom bracket and rotate it up to get to the back screw on the motor.

Also check the connector going out to the motor. I’ve seen that get messed up and cause a problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all....... I am getting power to the wires going into the motor... I stuck a probe into the wires and then pushed the switches..... a get power on each.....

Looks like the motor..... I will try and get the cap off the motor and check the brushes.....

How do I release the hydraulic pressure so I can compress the center piston?

thanks,

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
the tilt motor itself comes out ,without removing the tilt & trim assembly from motor, no need to release the hydraulic pressure, but their is a manual release usually on the port side motor bracket, recessed straight screw labeled "manual release'

unbolt the starboard engine mounting bracket and rotate it out of the way to gain acess to the tilt motor bolts that are against the transom, seiler marine sells aftermarket motors, usually Arco or Sierra I use them & found them to be ok

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did get a price of 93.00 from Seiler Marine. The pressure relief screw seems to be on the starbord side on the resevoir. I have loosened it about 2 turns but the center piston will not go down......

thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts