Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tilt ram on my outboard is leaking terribly so I bought an o ring kit and pulled the tilt trim assembly off the motor. I borrowed the proper spanner from a friend to remove the end of the cylinder but it won't budge. Also every stainless bolt that is in a tapped hole in the diecast assembly seems to be hopelessly frozen. I'm the first person to try to turn these bolts since it left the factory. I'm afraid of shearing them. Any suggestions other than soaking in a penetrant and hoping for the best? Motor is a 1999 Johnson 200. As a worst case suggest a mechanic or where I might find a used replacement that is in decent condition.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
they may be frozen in from salt try soaking them with CLR the stuff you see on tv for removing calcium then I would soak them with some pb blaster be careful not to apply too much pressure or you may pull the threads out.If the bolts start to come out then get harder to turn make sure to run them back in some and soak again.GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Chris
most penetrating oils do very little good when the bolts are salted in,
we use heat to unstick the bolts, heat them hot & fast, a map torch is best, also be patient, & work the bolts back & forth while applying heat, it does take some getting used to the feel of the bolts, & how much heat & torque you can apply without breaking them or melting the housings.
if you have never done it before it would be best for someone to show you how it is done. not hard once you see the technique.
also the tilt ram housing & end caps can be heated but remember there is rubber seals & o rings that will melt & need to be replaced when you do this & also it is filled with flamable liquid, start out with little heat at first, & try to loosen it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts