Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new moon and winds have made the tides much lower then normal.This is a great time to scout out the rivers/creeks to find "secret" structure.Using a boat is best but often you can find access to some areas by using an ADC map.These maps detail all the roads that get close to the rivers.Take a camera/binoculars and pencil/paper to log any trees/rocks/old boats/etc that you see.Some great structure is out there-often unseen until we get one of these extra low tides.

Years ago I fished the Severn in a 12 foot rowboat and always caught fish along a barren sandy beach.I could never figure it out until an extra low tide.I saw a few bushel basket size rocks in a row - this is why the fish were there :thumbup:.

The eastern shore has some really cool sunken stone fences.The very old homes have lost hundreds of feet of shore front over the last 200 years.Stone fences got swallowed up by the raising bay.Find these now and you have a great honey hole in summer ;-).

Best would be to have access to a helicopter or light plane.I had great intel for a while - my nephew worked on an air ambulance and often flew low over to Salisbury :yes:.He often clued me in to structure in the winter when the water is clearer.

Also a cool time to go find lost lures/weights along public fishing areas.Be sure to wear hip boots- water is getting cold.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks goes to my dad.He grew up fishing without all the "toys" we have.No GPS/radar/fishfinder - just a compass and charts.

Another tip he taught me was to look at the length of piers/docks.Most are built out to about 8 feet of water.Since no one wants to waste money-the pilings are only driven out to that depth.

Short piers mean a fast drop off.Longer piers mean the drop is much farther out.The really long piers means a long flat area.

Look for big boats at piers.An old trick was to leave the boat in gear while tied up.This would "blow" out a deep hole.When very low tides come-the lower units/props would not go into the mud.

Come winter time when the boat was on land - the hole often gave up a few Perch or Pickerel ;-).

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
You are giving up all your secrets.............donuts, structure at low tide, dock reading. Soon you won't have anything left to share and the bay will be empty because we have caught all the fish using your tips.

My dad tells me about the days when all he had was a richie compass and a depth flasher.

Oh yeah - thanks for the tips

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Good post Skip!

In college I went shark tooth hunting once or twice a week. It would get me out and was a lot cheaper then fishing. I would pray for days like these because I could walk so much further on the beach at the base on the cliffs. I could start at a public beach and walk to private places where people can't normally get to.

Never thought about the dock thing but as a general rule it makes perfect sense.

I heard a story once about on older waterman who lived waterfront on a creek off the Pax river. He always tied is boat up with the bow facing the river mouth because that's where the higher winds normally came from.

He did just as you were describing. Getting ready for winter oystering low tides he tied his boat to the dock and put it in gear. Somehow he noticed he had left something on the dock and hopped out real quick to grab it. At that time one of cleats pulled through the boat, which pulled his other cleat out and before he knew it, his boat was headed for the creek mouth unattended! :helpsmilie:

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you find them useful.Just passing on tips shared to me.

The late Capt. Jack Bunting ( OC ) showed me why one guy on a boat seems to catch more bottom fish.

When the lucky fisherman catches a fish-he rebaits and sends down a fresh bait.Meanwhile-his buddies are fishing bait that is getting old.Mr. Lucky reels up another one-rebaits with fresh and so on and so on. By now the other fisherman are using washed out bait and not getting many bites.To this day , I think of Capt. Jack everytime I put on new bait after not getting a bite within 5 minutes.

In fishing it is often the little things that make/break a day.Pulling the boat out of gear when trolling over deep fish is another old school trick :thumbup:.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Great post, Skip. Years ago, my brother and I rented a Cesna and flew low over the Severn just before Thanksgiving. He drove, I video taped.:D The water was extra clear. I'll need to dig up that tape because a lot of great bottom structure and grass beds were visible.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Great info Skip! I would have had no idea the tides were so low if you had not said anything.

A couple of years ago all of the local reserviors were down 30 feet or more. One was so low that it was not possible to launch the boat:eek: Instead of fishing my buddy Matt took his camera and walked the entire reservior taking pictures. He spent weeks doing this. We have binders full of pictures of the drop offs, old road beds, foundations, downed trees, humps etc. and it pays off BIG. A few previously fallen trees even made their way further toward the water for a later date;-) You can often see spray paint at the base of trees on shore marking the spot where structure lays out in front. I wish I lived closer to the bay so that I could go explore.

Dave

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember a guy who did that back in the 80's.He waited until the lakes filled back up- then sold the photos :thumbup:.

NOAA often will warn of higher/lower then normal tides.Today they predict 2 feet lower.

I love the spray paint as a marker :clapping2:- very smart idea.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I think of Capt. Jack everytime I put on new bait after not getting a bite within 5 minutes.
You mentioned this once before in a post. From that time on I have taken the washed out bloodworm piece and dunk it in the blood on the bait board. It gives it new life.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
..regarding the extra low tides a strong wind blowing in the right direction can really help move the water out. I am always amazed how much water the wind can move..

Google Earth images often show underwater structure depending on the when the image was taken..

You can often see sand bars, sunken ship skeletons, points that continue underwater.. sometimes you can see current rips as well. I have a great Idea of structure in the patapsco as I have gone over the images there quite a bit..

check it out!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Skip. Good post. Just another bit of insight. When you are looking at shore line structure during a period of low tide watch for areas where the current action has created holes or created a sharp break in the bottom. Learned this from the neighborhood kids who fished the bulk heads and always seemed to catch some nice fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts