Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I went to the show yesterday evening and it was hardly worth the trip. It was about 1/4 the size it was when I went about 3 years ago. I know it's a sign of our economy but it was really sad to see how few vendors and guides were there. I did meet a few other TF'ers there. Nice to meet you Fishing Frank who was working the MSSA booth. And also the other TFer who was working the Tri-state exibit (can't remember your TF handle) but had a great chat. I did get some of the fish belly shad which look like they might be great on the flats this spring. Anybody else see these plastics? They have great action and are neutrally buoyant so they will have great action in the shallower water.

· Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
I attended the show yesterday afternoon with my wife. I agree, it was a bust for us as well. "Largest Fishing Exo Show on the East Coast"

· Registered
209 Posts
I would agree. Told the wifey i would be back by 9 after leaving at 5:30. I was home in time to make myself dinner and watch the BCS championship at 8. I wonder how the Convention Center boat show will be since they really dont have many exhibits, just boats. I hope the poor guys selling these boats are not on commission.

· Registered
572 Posts
I hear ya, I went on my lunch hour thurs
Figured I would be gone 2-3 hours
Left the office at 12, 15min drive, back in the office at 2ish
Very lame compared to years past
Got through the whole thing in less than an hour
Even spent 15min talking to the Merc rep about Verados
I have often thought of trying to find a way to get paid to fish or work in the industry
I dont know now, looks like it would be tough to feed the family now a days

· Premium Member
26,871 Posts
Years ago I talked to one of the organizer about the high entrance fee.I thought they should refund it - if you spent $100.00 there.That would encourage people to buy, which would bring in more vendors.That in turn would bring in more buyers.

Look at how well attended Tri-State is - one reason,it's FREE to get in.
I can see a $2-3.00 dollar entry but $8-10.00 is crazy.

Without a lot of people coming in and buying - the vendors will drop out.Not worth their time/money to break even or lose money for 5 days.

The seminars make up for some of the fee if you catch the speaker you want to hear.

· Registered
353 Posts
I agree I went thursday nite and was very dissappointed, nothing like years before. There were also no good deals to be had I can go to my local tackle dealers and get the same prices and even cheaper.

· Registered
1,282 Posts
I remember several people panned the show last year. I went and found it was okay as shows go. It was something to do on a winter afternoon when football playoffs are not on the TV until later. I think Richie Gaines is doing a seminar tomorrow. I may go to hear that.

· Registered
146 Posts
Guy's, Guy's, Guy's, Take it easy. Yes they have closed the north hall. If you are looking for a boat, the displays are smaller. I noticed that some of the vendors that had 20-30 boats on display are still there, only with 5 models. Do you have any idea of the cost to set 20 boats in an exhibition hall? The center hall has as many vendors as last year. The vendors were moved from the north hall to the center hall however many have shrunk their space down. In this economy you would probaly take less space when an 8x10 is $600.00. Remember they have to recoup the $600.00 and other costs before they even make a dime!

If you don't come out this year, what makes you think this show will be abel to come back next year? Come on out and talk to the guys and gals working their booth they have an unbelieveable amount of information to offer. Just ask, you won't know how much they can help you if you don't come. It just might be a new lure or technique that saves your next trip or a new reef that you knew nothing about. It might be a conversation with one of the many people there from CCA, MSSA, or the DNR that answers the question you have had on your mind. Anyway you look at it...it is worth your time. Come on out and see what you can learn.

Thanks,

Dave Dansberger

· Registered
972 Posts
Unfortunately, this show has been in decline for several years. In a sluggish economy, perhaps the promoter could have cut the vendors a break and done something to attract folks to the show. I get the impression that those in charge think they are doing all of us a favor by having the show. And, by the way, it isn't even close to being the largest show on the east coast.

People are voting with their feet and I will not be attending the show for the first time in 20 years or so.

· Registered
149 Posts
Dang $ 8.00 :confused: MMMMMM at the PSG I may be able to buy 8, 9 inch Shads :thumbup: instead of wasting my money? or The Essex Flea Market in March. Maybe I just stay home and watch the Ravens? :clap:
Does anyone know if the Rosedale Fire House is having a flea market this year? :helpsmilie:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.