Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a set of planer boards to a Tfer last week and he called me a few days later to ask if I could make him another starboard side board.Seems his tow line broke in rough water and by the time they were able to get the rods in and go looking for it- the starboard board was no where in sight.They searched but never found it.

Some guys put their cell phone number on the board - that is a great idea :thumbup:.I stand behind my theory that 99% of the people are honest and will return lost items if there is a way to find the owner.

The board was lost near Point Look Out and might have been found by someone in Va. with no idea who to call.

Only takes a few minutes to write your number on your board - much better chance getting it back :yes:.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
I use flags on mine, it helps me see them as well as other fishermen who are out but the phone number and name is a great idea.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey Skip, where did you get the flags for your boards??
Went to Home depot and they had the tiny ones with the thin metal wire
Want all plastic that wont rust and can take a wave
Thanx

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Hey Skip, where did you get the flags for your boards??
Went to Home depot and they had the tiny ones with the thin metal wire
Want all plastic that wont rust and can take a wave
Thanx
Bikeshops are a great place to get them, I know C&M Cycles, Manhattan Velo, and Spokesman Cycles would be happy to get them for you.(shameless plug):yes:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Another tip.

Here is another planner board tip... I have mentioned it before but find it so helpful I think it is worth mentioning again. There are two super benefits to this!

It doesn't matter whether you run shower curtain rings, carabineers or clips by ataching a small (6 inches) piece of surveyors tape on each clip makes it so easy to see how far your lines are out at a glance.

But the real benefit is for other guys fishing around you, they can see your board lines. Not a big deal if it is slick flat, but the last couple of day's either your board or boat is so deep in a swell it is hard to tell if someone had board out or not.

Two bucks at the hardware store and you get to pick your own pretty color.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
For the flags I use carbon arrows for poles & you can buy the flag at home improvement stores.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I bought Plastic American Flags at the dollar store people use to decorate the table on the 4th of July. They came with a wood block, that I tossed. They are probably 8"x15", all plastic and cheap.

·
Registered
988 Posts
What do most people use for planer board line? I have .095" orange mono (weed eater line), I can't imagine it breaking.
It can and it has:eek: I check my line each time I reel it in. I use plastic extension chord holders to hold the line. I had one break at the crimp 2 years ago, luckily it snapped toward the boards and not back at the boat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As long as we are talking about it and you guys are so much help. I need a question answered. how far back do you put each line then attach it to the planer line. As far as the weight of the lure goes do you put the heaviest out at the end near the planer or closer to the boat? So if I have 4 lines out on the planer on the port side of the boat I put the heaviest lure out farthest and I put it out 100 feet. fished last weekend and caught some fish on the MOJO and stretch's but nothing out on the boards????

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
you guys need to post some pics n such to help us non-knowers in need of schooling......planer boards are not of Virginia origin ........only ones I ever used were in the Great Lakes back home

·
Registered
438 Posts
As long as we are talking about it and you guys are so much help. I need a question answered. how far back do you put each line then attach it to the planer line. As far as the weight of the lure goes do you put the heaviest out at the end near the planer or closer to the boat? So if I have 4 lines out on the planer on the port side of the boat I put the heaviest lure out farthest and I put it out 100 feet. fished last weekend and caught some fish on the MOJO and stretch's but nothing out on the boards????
Lightest at the board end so when it gets hit in theory it should go over the other lures. I also put my lightest lures out further so they are stagered in length and weight.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Any one know where I can buy a set of planer boards to tow from a 19 ft grady with hardtop rocket launchers and rod holders at gunwale ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Any one know where I can buy a set of planer boards to tow from a 19 ft grady with hardtop rocket launchers and rod holders at gunwale ? Thanks
Talk to Skip (27 sailfish). I got a set of boards from him that are the best around! :thumbup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I never really paid much attention to where the lures were in the order of the lines on the boards. When you catch a fish you have to move them all down one spot anyway so you can put the line out again. I guess you could start with some particular order in mind but when the catching begins it will all be out the window.

I use the extension cord holder also, but never reel the lines in under tension, basically because it is just too big a pain. I just stop the boat and bring them in. Did the line break when you were trolling? I have never given it much thought but that would suck to have a 100' of mono snap back into the boat. My crimps are covered with heat shrink so I can't really see the line....I will probably just re-crimp them every year now that I have heard the horror stories.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts