Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 1998 Honda 50 hp four stroke. During the course of repairs the mechanic advised me to drain each carburetor if I plan to keep the boat out of the water for 1 or 2 weeks. He advised that due to ethanol in fuel the carbs get get gummed up and within a year time the carbs will need rebuilt or cleaned. I also use Startron treatment at each fill up and instead of draining each carb would it do the same if I disconnect the fuel line at the ramp and let it run out of gas. What do you guys do?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
only run non ethanol in my boats, mowers,chainsaws,& other power equipment, carburetor cleaning used to be a regular activity for me, not anymore. with non ethanol, I don't drain it

many outboard motor manufacturers recommend not storing ethanol fuel for more than 30 days, including fuel in carbs & vst tanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
Your fine, if you run it out of fuel you be OK and 2 weeks won't hurt even without star-tron. Now If you were going to store it for 3 months your mtr may be in trouble. Heck my buddy used star-tron and sta-bult in his tank his boat sat for almost for a year, fired up and ran on just fine. It was a 350 chevy inboard.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My 1998 Honda 50 was just replaced. Last year I had the carbs rebuilt and it was the first time it ever had any real service. But the water jacket in the head corroded and water got into the oil. Still it was great engine and did not owe me a dime. Averaged about 250 hrs a season for all those years. Replaced it with an E-Tec 40. Sold the broken motor with jet drive for a good profit. Seems they are very good motors and I would say that is true.

Capt Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts