Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:helpsmilie:Hi all,
this seems to be the best place to get experienced answers
I have a Yami 4stk 2006 .. I've never fogged my engine as I use it in Lake Anna during the winter months , this year it may be Late Feb before I get there and have not used it since OCT ... is it a good idea to fog for a few months or okay to wait it out.. also if I go out and crank it over without starting it will that do anything beneficial..

I put Stabil Ethanol treatment in the tank but my tank is almost empty ( less the an 1/8 )
should I fill the tank up or leave it as is... I have'nt put Ethanol in it but who's to say the station had not posted the 10% sign on the pump

One last question,,,, I have a 19ft Century bay boat with a riptide electric motor ,
I pulled the batteries for that motor and was thinking about pullng the starter batteries for the Yami out for storage ...........any suggestion on this move...

What's your advice and thanks in advance

Jay

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
It's probably a good idea to hit it with "Engine Tuner" or equivalent carbon remover, or even some carburetor cleaner, and then fog it. It certainly won't hurt anything - other than the extra smoke next time you start it.

I pull my batteries and put them on a "float" charger like this:

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

As for the "store with the gas tank full" question, I'll just leave that one alone.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
IMO - fog it, fill the tank 90 to 95% and leave the batteries in.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
It is never good to leave an outboard sit for along time without running it.
Do not turn it over without water - you could damage the impellor.Be sure to use flushing muffs - not the hose on the side of the motor.

Motors that sit more then 2 months should be fogged - even in summer.You'll most likely be OK but fogging is best on a long lay up.

The batteries are OK in the boat - as long as they are charged.Here again - the best is to remove and store in a garage.

Your fuel should be OK - 4 months with treatment is not hatefully long.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I agree with Skip on everthing except the fuel. The new ethanol fuel begins breaking down after only 30 days. I did not top off this year running tanks to 1/8 after adding STABIL ethanol.

Good luck

Jeff

·
Registered
304 Posts
Very important with the new fuel. As little as possible. Stabilizer is key. The ethanol is **** and it turns to gunk in no time. Most manufacters recommend using a fuel treatment if the motor sits any longer than 2 or 3 weeks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you have the chance to pop some muffs on it, just start it and let it run for a few every 6 weeks or so. Otherwise fog it, doesn't take much time. If your going to take it out in February, you could just start it up now and call it good until then in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts