Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been out four times this spring for C/R trolling. Have caught 38 fish. All fish back in water in 20 to 30 seconds. I of course have NOT been netting fish. Have simply "carefully" been grabbing by mouth with gloved hand. Of the 38 fish, one (1) got loose at boat that would not have had I been using a net. I looked at my records from last spring..........approximately 50% of the fish we caught would be throwbacks under this years regs. The same 50% release figure holds true for the fish we have caught this spring. So the questions is " Should we use a net this spring?" I understand that the fisherman that only gets out a couple of times a year probably should use a net as their catch may be limited. This question is meant more for the guys that are lucky enough to fish alot (several times a week). Sailfish 27 "Skip" has convinced me to let the 40+ inch fish go anyway.....(41+ inch fish this year).....so doesn't it make alot of sense to keep the net on the rack this year???? I do understand that this of course will NOT apply to "BIG FISH" during the tournaments. Of course I would grab the net if a 50 incher was on the end of the line during the tournament. But before the tournament, why net the big girl??? Gently grab her in the water by the mouth, pop the hook out, quick picture horizontally, gently back she goes. Just my thoughts.
Mark

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Billy- does that mean your changing your name to "DON'T GET THE NET"?:hysterical: :roflguy: :D :clap: :clapping2:

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
If you are'nt gonna eat it then don't take it out of the water. If you are gonaneat it then it does'nt matter.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I like how Salfish 27 does it - no net, get them back in as quickly as possible. No reason to use a net and I'm second guessing even using a Boga grip - might hurt the heavy fish. Just my 2 cents!! As a side bar, I'm in it for the fun of it and not about catching fish to eat.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I normally don't use a net.......glove hand is good enough....haven't lost one this year.......

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
I like using my Boga Grips and I stay away from nets. Like Phill said, I smashed the barbs down on my hooks and I switch out all of my treble hooks for singles.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
I stopped using a net for C/R about 4 years ago.If it's a true monster -we net it .The nets take the slime off fish and this can allow infections to get into the fish.

Great idea about not netting a "looks close" slot fish.Once you get the hang of it-landing them by hand is easy-plus the net man can't muff it up :rolleyes: .Try to land all the fish the same way ,ie: on the same side of the boat.After awhile it becomes second nature and you'll have the C/R down to 20-30 seconds- with no net to untangle. Skip

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Billy- does that mean your changing your name to "DON'T GET THE NET"?:hysterical: :roflguy: :D :clap: :clapping2:
Now that's funny!

Pardon my lack of technical terms, but does anyone have an opinion about the nets I see now that have a rubber-like coated netting? (Black is the only color I've seen.) They seem like they might be easier on the fish than a "traditional" net.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Good for you Mark, landing them by hand is much funner anyway. About those black nets, the only ones I'd be interested in is the ones the musky fisherman use.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I don't even own a net anymore. Rockfish are easy to land without a net. Net's are a major pain, IMO.

Bluefish are a different story, but who wants to land a Blue?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I just shoot 'em and sort the wreckage out later.....hmmm I think this was that fish's tail and that dorsal over there looks like it belongs to........well you get the point. :D :D

-Evans

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what is the purpose of taking a fish that's going to be released out of the water?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts