Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bigfish:12 08 08 Before i start venting to much, First and formost i would like toExpress the utmost appreciation to Mr.Sean Dcran on Crystal Clear.. and to Mr.Scott Prunty on Changes In Attitude, For responding to our Demise on the Island Girl south of the high rise STUCK on the shoal where unfortunately we had run aground.I Also want ot say to those that did not respond to uor demise, You remember fellow fishermen what goes around comes around and believe me some day YOU will get yours; which will be well Deservied ;; i would also like to say THANKS BUT NO THANKS TO THE UNITED STATES COAST GUARD ;; i guess they don,t respond unless someones life is in DANGER.People only think of themselves more and more each day.God forbid we ever have a MAJOR disaster.Again thanks to those that did respond to our demise,,,.S O NOW THAT I HAVE VENTED I WILL TRY TO GET ON WITH THE FISHING REPORT AFTER WAITING 3 HOURS TO GET OFF THE SHOAL..fREE AT LAST..left where we were grounded at 1;30 am. went to our spot southof the highrise and started drifting eels wasn,t very long until fish on 41 lb 43 1/2 ins a good fight to say the least. finish tht drift. go south a bit start another drift not long another rod goes off bam another good fish.. we get 6 big fish by 9/am release two smallest ones.. had 6 for 10 not abad trip after all i am going to try to post the picturest now GOOD FISHING AND BE CAREFULL CAPT, Bill M ITCHEM JUST ONE MORE....

·
Registered
753 Posts
Congrats on the fish.

NO congrats on the assistance from so many that could have helped... Lots of folks dont care unless its them in trouble. But glad you made it back safe and sound.

Last year, we heard a mayday call from off of oregon inlet, and we responded.. Coast guard was called and they also headed that way. Person on board a charter had a heart problem and needed assistance and the charter boat was broke down. We hooked up to the craft as we were the first to respond. Pulled them half way to the inlet and the coasties arrived. They made us unhook and they took the heart patient aboard and hauled ass, and then we had to re-hook and tow the boat in as they woudl not assist.

I commend them for what they do, but they are not so responsive in many situations in which most of us think they will assist.

Atleast you had a few folks around you with some common courtesy and good sense.

·
Registered
631 Posts
doesnt suprise me one bit. i was broke down off cape henry during the summer with boat after boat ignoring my signals for help. i had mygrandson onboard and we were drifting closer and closer to the anchored ships. finally called tow boat us and they got us back to CC. next day took out a membership. your right, what comes around goes around.

·
Registered
848 Posts
So you run aground on a shoal and expect others to risk running aground on the shoal as well? More details needed in how YOU ran aground, as Capt of vessel, on a known shoal. No disrespect. Just not enough facts in your post. Glad you got off the shoal and still continued to save the night.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I was on a friend's boat and heard part of the conversation. Sounded to me like the USCG was in constant contact with you to make sure you were OK. They would not respond because they could not respond in water that skinny. If you shoaled out, a USCG cutter would run a ground out too. From what I heard it, a couple of boats did help you out, good for them for helping. So if the rest of us heard you in contact with the USCG and a couple of other boaters already trying to help you, why are you chewing everybody else out. What did you want...a fleet of boats surrounding you (on the shoal mind you) to pass you chicken noodle soup. You also have not mentioned why you refused you call Sea Tow or Boat US. These are proffesionals whose job it is to assist you. If you are not a member, shame on you. If you were too cheap to pay them to rescue you, shame on you. To chew out other boaters in your situation...shame on you. Sorry for the rant.

Glad your OK though and glad you caught some fish.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was towed from about 8 miles off Cape Henry to Little Creek this spring! Over $700 bill. Thank God for Boat US member ship. The best $150 a year I ever spent. As for the Coast Guard, you can thank our government. I remember 30 years ago or so, they wouldn't think twice about towing you to the nearest port. Never even hear about boat us or sea tow in them days. Anyway, someone complained that there are people who could make a buck doing those type of things and it stopped. even the marine police would help back then. Of course the same thing happened to the gas, cigarette and grocery prices on base, but that is another grip.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just one more,
I bet that if you had told them that you were broke down in the EEZ with a couple of Stripers on board that you would have had Cutters,Choppers,Airplanes and Zodiacs coming at ya like bullets out of a machine gun.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Look guys cut them a little slack.

I am a friend of a friend and these guys are experienced fisherman. The story goes that they were running at night or changing fishing locations. The boat has a new electronic package and the unit was being switched from sonar to radar. They were trying to figure how to use the split screen function when the water got skinny. Now I'm not that close to know whether or not they have seatow or boat us or not, but that was the details I heard.

As we all know it only takes a second to get in trouble fishing around shoals.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Heck,the CG gave us a couple years where they would ask,"...will you accept a commercial tow?"Then 9/11 happened.Why would anyone think the Dept of Homeland Security cares what shoal you're on? The government cares only about what affects mortality;YOU are responsible for getting your butt back home.

G

·
It may be helpful to post the exact position of the shoal you were on so others won't wind up in the same position you were in. Good job on saving the evening by catching a few.
That scares me to think that I don't know of a place near the CBBT where I can actually run hard aground. All that comes to mind is Latimer Shoals but especially at night I avoid it because of the unpredictable waves in the area. I run between the bridges up to the 4th when I come back, especially at night.

Where did you run aground - exactly?????

I also agree that having a tow policy is critical and its always money well spent and hopefully not used. Also agree that the CG can't go into skinny water with a bigger boat that yours, especially if its not life threathening. All you need is one good samaritan to help get you off.BUT there's a bigger issue. Its about assuming the liability for your boat and members on board if you assist in a tow and someone gets hurt...I'll address that in a new post.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I just had this conversation Monday with one of my customers who came in my office wearing his CG uniform. He said that back in the late 1980's (that could be wrong but I believe he said 1988) they passed a law that if the boaters were not in danger then a paid company gets first crack at rescue. If their is not a tow service in the area or they are not responding then the CG will provide assistance. More then likley some tow service knew that the CG was taking money out f their pockets so they went to their congressman and asked to have this law or regulation put in place. I'm sure they used the line it will save tax payers money and free up theCG to do more important work. So lets not blame theCG for something that is out of their hands.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
I'm VERY interested in knowing where you ran aground. I've marked some spots on the IMG and 9' shoal that are ~4 ft... and there may be spots more shallow than that... I'd just like to know where they are! What's the draft of your boat?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Look guys cut them a little slack.

I am a friend of a friend and these guys are experienced fisherman. The story goes that they were running at night or changing fishing locations. The boat has a new electronic package and the unit was being switched from sonar to radar. They were trying to figure how to use the split screen function when the water got skinny. Now I'm not that close to know whether or not they have seatow or boat us or not, but that was the details I heard.

As we all know it only takes a second to get in trouble fishing around shoals.
I read the original post yesterday, and decided to just be quiet.

However, no one is really giving the OP grief for running aground. That can happen to any one of us if we get careless as they did.

Mike had it just right when he said:

I was on a friend's boat and heard part of the conversation. Sounded to me like the USCG was in constant contact with you to make sure you were OK. They would not respond because they could not respond in water that skinny. If you shoaled out, a USCG cutter would run a ground out too. From what I heard it, a couple of boats did help you out, good for them for helping. So if the rest of us heard you in contact with the USCG and a couple of other boaters already trying to help you, why are you chewing everybody else out. What did you want...a fleet of boats surrounding you (on the shoal mind you) to pass you chicken noodle soup. You also have not mentioned why you refused you call Sea Tow or Boat US. These are proffesionals whose job it is to assist you. If you are not a member, shame on you. If you were too cheap to pay them to rescue you, shame on you. To chew out other boaters in your situation...shame on you. Sorry for the rant.
It sounds as though the OP expected the entire fishing fleet to come pull him off the shoal.

While I would have been quick to respond to a life-threatening sinking situation, or to standby a vessel that has broken down, or remove folks if necessary, my days of towing other boats are long over.

The USCG will certainly be there for you in life-threatening situations. For all others, have towing insurance.

JMHO.
Brian

1 - 20 of 49 Posts