Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering selling my 23 Parker walk-around. It's a 1991, but has updates (like an '01 Yammie w/472 hours, furuno electronics (FF/DGPS chartplotter), lenco tabs, hardtop, new curtains, etc.). I get choked-up thinking about it:ibeillin: , but the cost of keeping it relative to the amount of time I'm able to use it, combined with the financial needs of getting kids on the road to college, just isn't making sense right now. The big question is whether the market is too slow/saturated to make selling it worth the return. Do any of you, especially those who recently purchased or sold a boat, have any thoughts on the market that you can share?

(And yes, Brandon, when it goes for sale, I'll buy a TF ad...I promise.)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Many people with larger boats/yachts have their boats for sale since the day they buy them. The thinking is, ask for the price you want(and dont neg.) or a high price and see what happens. It sounds like you dont "need" to sell now so you might be in a good position to do this. Put it out there and see what happens, might be a day, might be a year. Another good thing with this is the market really shouldnt effect you too much.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Piffle. What's the point of a lawyer owning a boat if it doesn't sit around unused ...

You're not always going to be this busy, Goose.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Hey Goose,

Good luck with your decision. I'll address the personal part, not the market part.

We all go thru different stages in our life. I am now approaching the retir't stage (heehehehe). :D

I went thru the boating with the wife/young children stage.
I went thru the kids are now interested in other things stage.
I went thru the wife working 2 jobs, raising 2 kids, too busy stage.
I went thru a lot of fishing stage.
ETC, etc.
Sounds like you are going thru the 'not using it enough to justify it' stage.
I went thru that and sold the boat. I think it was the right thing to do. We just had different priorities at the time (building a house, moving, teenagers, college, work, etc. So we sold the boat. Again, I think it was the right thing to do.

After things settled down (maybe 5-6 yrs) and the priorites settled down and things weren't so hectic, my wife said the key sentence to me.

"Please, please, please (as in James Brown) go buy a boat. You are really getting on my nerves. You are around here too much. You need a boat. You need to fish."

So, that was the 'buy a new boat stage'. This has been a very, very good stage.

In conclusion, if you do sell the boat, you can look forward to the next "please, please, please buy a boat' stage. It will not be the end of the world, selling the boat. And you will get by til you reach the next stage.

Good luck. :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
I know what you mean--it's hard to sell a boat you really like. I'm reluctantly trying to sell my 26' "dreamboat" (yes, it's listed on Tidalfish classifieds) because I find I'm spending more time fishing on friend's boats due to their better location. It's an emotional decision. As far as boat market conditions, I hope Spring brings about a big improvement. Little interest the last 6 weeks in my ads.
And remember: there's always another boat out there that'll grab you!
Creekster

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I had a boat that cost me ~34K about 5 yrs ago. and was in the "kids too young" stage when I bought it and was paying monthly. Moved to the Eastern Shore and started trailering for the first time with a nice boat, set for fishing (at least by my standards) for < half of the other. Not that 15K isn't a lot, but it is a little easier to justify when I am not paying monthly for it.

BTW-please don't tell my wife about the "not using it enough" argument, because I will never hear the end of it:D

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I think you answered your own question - it's about family and finances first.

Your "when" seems to be about market conditions and return, which is enough to drive any seller crazy who tries to analyze the monetary outcome.

Wish I had more convincing logic than that, but hope that little bit helps.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
well... do like i did...to h with the wife and kids...you come first. aftre all, you only go round once, and who really knows if they have boats, or even feeshing, in the nether-world.and when money got slow , so slow i couldn't make my payments, i put the wife out on the street, mostly navy football games, and she earned enuff for me to keep the boat,.she now a major "madam" in easton, and rakes in the cash. hot dam!!!!!

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
well... do like i did...to h with the wife and kids...you come first. aftre all, you only go round once, and who really knows if they have boats, or even feeshing, in the nether-world.and when money got slow , so slow i couldn't make my payments, i put the wife out on the street, mostly navy football games, and she earned enuff for me to keep the boat,.she now a major "madam" in easton, and rakes in the cash. hot dam!!!!!
SOOooooo, you ARE getting a bigger boat....we knew you'd fess up...:clap:

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you're asking that kind of question then it's probably time to sell it. I had a boat was in the Army. Went to Korea on an unaccompanied tour. When I got back found my wife sold the boat. She has told me numerous times I'll get another boat. Well, times almost up, looking for something new next winter. But this is a better time, more time available, more money available, and fishing is better! So, don't catch em all this year. I'll be joining the boating crew again. :clap:

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
I always tell people that unless you use a boat at least once a week-it is better to share expenses or charter.The insurance/license fees/trailer tags/etc. add up to one thousand dollars or more.That buys 10-20 HO trips.

The call is yours but spring is the very best time to sell a used boat.Parkers are well known boats and with electronics-it should sell. Skip

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
The problem in selling a boat now is the market is saturated with used boats at give away prices. When real estate sales are slow the boat business is down, we are now in a major down period. Eighten months ago the manufacturers couldnt keep up with the demand, now the market is in the toilet. My friend in Florida asked me to sell his boat on tidal fish so i listed it for $16k, the boat is worth 20 at least, he just sold it yesterday in florida for $13,500. It had 7k in electronics. Everyone is discounting boats now with all kinds of fantastic financing deals. We had over 400 people look on Tidal fish at my friends boat and I never had the first call. If it is paid off you may be better off keeping it now, the only way your going to sell it is if you give it away.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My wife and I are in a similar situation but are lucky enough (depending on how you look at it!) to have two boats. We had twins 10 months ago and realized the bigger boat had to go. Its for sale now...just not enough time to justify the expenses.

Plus, as Skip said, there are plenty of guys who already own boats that you'll be able to fish with and you're always welcome to fish with me. I fish out of the Severn too and often go out alone b/c it's hard to find guys with flexible schedules. I often fish early weekday mornings and try to get back in by 10 or so.

Mike

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you own it, keep it. You know there will be that first slick calm evening when that little voice in your head keeps saying - "Tolly, Tolly, Tolly" and when that happens you will miss the boat. Besides, you've been like a beacon when I run out in the evenings. And, you can always bmail on the spur of the moment 'cause my kids are grown and gone, the wife is now wealthy and gone, the dog doesn't like to fish and I like to get in a few hours most days.

Bill

·
Registered
142 Posts
I guess i might look at the whole deal a bit differently-do I NEED to sell as a threshold, then do i NEED money from the sale or is it to reduce cash outflow that can go somewhere else-you mentioned college-i do not know how old your kids are and i do not know how much the monthly nut is on the parker but if you are not worried about cash out of the boat, put it out there for sale with the understanding that i think in the boating world for the most part it is always a buyers market-when we got our boat several years back i told wifey the "hole in the water story" i think getting book value out of any boat-its possible but more likely its just a nicety(there will be three thousand guys out there ready to disagree on this with stories backing them up, its just MO)-that said-if you are looking at saving on dock fees, insurance, GAS, registration fees, licenses (including trailer stuff) maintenance, and of course the monthly payment if you've got one-that can be a tidy sum-stick that in a 529 or just a self directed plan for the kids and manage it yourself (529s sometimes do not present the financial benefits they tout) and you will have lots of money in no time at all for for college, or other stuff (like a boat) when they are through. Good luck with whatever decsison you make
flan
PS I am on the South and am out just about every weekend starting in april-b-mail me if you want to wet a line

·
Registered
155 Posts
I always tell people that unless you use a boat at least once a week-it is better to share expenses or charter.The insurance/license fees/trailer tags/etc. add up to one thousand dollars or more.That buys 10-20 HO trips.

The call is yours but spring is the very best time to sell a used boat.Parkers are well known boats and with electronics-it should sell. Skip
tis a smart man here! remember your boat will be worthless in 10 years, regardless of what you paid for it on top of what sailfish mentioned.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One thing that is making this decision a little more palatable is my re-discovered enjoyment of Pickerel and Perch fishing in the Severn. TF member Virgil Poe took me Pickerel fishing last October in a small bass boat. Next to it in his driveway was a very nice, mid-twenties fishing machine. He commented that he enjoyed Pickerel fishing so much that he rarely used the bigger boat. By the end of a great Pickerel trip with him, I understood why. I quickly became hooked on Pickerel fishing the Severn and, in November, used the Parker only once. All of my other trips were via canoe or wading.

November is what got me thinking about whether to keep the boat, and doing the math recently is what got me serious about it. I paid for the boat in cash so don’t have monthly payments, but that was before two 529 college plans, house renovations and wanting the flexibility to not work like a dog for a big firm the remainder of my life.

I now have a flatback canoe with a small electric motor, which I do not plan to sell. My daughter loves it even more than I. I also enjoy Shad fishing in rental rowboats so much in the Spring that I barely notice the Spring trolling season. What I will miss is the early summer season, where I’ve become pretty accomplished at light tackle trolling for Stripers in the Bay, and later in the Summer when the Blues and Macs run. But I’m not sure that this justifies keeping the boat at this point in my life. And even when I’m enjoying myself on it, the thought is always in the back of my mind that something major could go wrong that (1) costs me a lot of money up front and (2) makes the boat more difficult to sell. Right now, nothing is wrong with her, she’s in a her prime and -- while that also makes it tougher to sell -- it probably means the time is right.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My opinion is that when the responsibility is nagging at you, you don't enjoy the time on the water. That said --- I'm shoving most of what I make away into retirement or 529 for the kids. So I can stomach the boat cost. If I get laid off or have to take a pay cut, the boat will be history. I totally understand what you are going through.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Goose-

My first reaction was "you got plenty of friends on the river to take you out when you/they are available".

But when I think about it, I would consider the potential the boat provides to your family in terms of not only "fun" but "together time" and who knows, maybe the original Ms. SRRKC would grow up to be a professional angler :clap: -- I think that potential that owning a boat gives, outweighs the cost of owning it.

Now, this is completely a subjective opinion for you. Not all boats (i.e. 2007 triple Verado Contenders :helpsmilie: ) and not all family situations would allow an affordable luxury like a boat.

Now, as a non-serious/serious comment, I've always figured that therapy probably costs the same as a boat. So, to preserve one's sanity.....:fishing2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts