Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we made the journey down to owl creek today from richmond. Left the house at 7 and launched with two other botas about 9. As we motored out of Rudee into rolling 4-5 footers with a stiff COLD COLD COLD breeze pushing us south, we decided to motor down with it for a while. At about 10-12kts we marked absolutely nothing all the way down past Sandbridge. We maintained about a mile from the beach the whole way. As we thought of turning around, someone chimed in on the radio, I think it was "three decks" and he said he was working the 3 mile line about due East of us. We trolled around blind for about 30 min and saw a few birds but no good marks. As we were all freezing and couldn't seem to get a good north troll going into the 4 footers we decided to pull up and run back north slowly. 15 min later at about 15-18kts, three decks chimmed back in with a call of two more boats just south of him and all hooked up. As it didn't seem to be getting any better and we were all freezing, we cried and kept north. Just past the golf ball we ran out to the three mile line and immeadiately started marking fish,not bait but good fish. trolled a six line spread from the bottom up to 15' with nothing to result. Water temp never got above 40.9. Pulled up and ran further north and marked more fish 2.5 miles straight out of Rudee. Again, no takers. The water started to calm down and with 2-3 footers, we ran back to Rudee. ABout 1/2 mile out we marked crazy med sized fish all over so again dropped the spread for 45 min with nothing. We tried the troll north and south but with no pullage all day we called it at 2:15-2:30. Boat back on the trailer at 3:00 and saw the boys from Manteo in the 26 Regulator that launched with us in the morning comming back in too. Breif report from them sounded much like ours. NOTHING. Needless to say, it may be time to put the Rockfish gear away and look forward to warmer days of togging, flounder and spades. Boy I sure would love to get into some good fish again this year one more time but I am afraid it may be too late, too cold and too far out to be able to get em. If anyone goes tomorrow, good luck, be safe and don't rub it in too badly if you get into them....

Rock Crusher
257 Seafox WA
ch 68/78

Matt

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
6 friends of mine fished with "game On" and wore them out. They went south and had four or five close to 50 inches. Capt Chris is the man!!!!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thanks for the report Rock. Usually it is about over now but this has been a crazy season. I`m hoping for a little extended bite. Was planning on Sunday but the eariler forecast didn`t look to good but now it`s looking like E 5-10 early. I`ve never liked anything east but if the "fever" hits..........

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ida Mae,
Did they give you a more exact location on the bite down south? We are going Sunday.
Bill

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
better than reading the sunday paper this morning matt ! thanx for the report......we are all pretty much in the same boat ! dont say the S word too loud ......yet.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking the NC line out to 3miles for th ebite. IT was just too nasty and cold for us to go much farther than we did in 4-5 footers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you

I really appreciate this report. Its easy to post a "brag" report- but what could make this cite valueable would be lots of reports- both hit and miss.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Easy there! I didn't post this report to get anyone else fired up. If they caught 50" ers good for them, I worked my butt off and couldn't get em.

·
Registered
59 Posts
State line report

A friend of mine fished down south today around the state line having good success.The bite turned on around 12:30 to 1:00.He said the bite lasted for about 2 hours and then he began the long trek home to Sunset.Multiple hookups with 3-4 rods going down was the order of the day.The fish were descent @36-43 inches.He caught the fish around 2.5 miles off of the beach.Biggest fish of the day was 33lbs.Beats the hell out of what I did [email protected] home sick on the couch.:wacko: :yawn: RED EYE-24 Topaz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts