Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late report fished Friday Cape Henry area. Great toggin conditions except for all the rockfishing boneheads flying by us at full speed right next to the boat and the people trolling up to us so close I could read the electronics on their dash. Slow tide clear water and plenty of pullage. Caught at leats 30 fish as soon as it hit the bottom bam it was on. I took a friend out who hadn;t caught a tog before and he was loving it hooked up every drop if he could keep em from stealing his bait. Made sure he knew it wan't always like this. Fished the end of the outgoing and beginning of incoming only slow time was for a half an hour during tide change. Then it was back on. Kept our limit and threw the rest back most were in the 16"-18" range but had two of em at 22"-23". Great New Years Eats. Also caught a rockfish while togging. Blue Crabs were the bait.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks for the report. I have been wanting to fish for Togs but with all the reports of citation Stripers being caught I have been trying for a big striper when I have been able to get out. Key word here is trying.
Were you using fresh blue crab or frozen? Last time I tried for Togs I could not find any fresh blue crabs.

Thanks Wes

·
Registered
87 Posts
Question about bait

I to am interested in what baits togg perfer. Saw a 20" + togg eating mussel or someting off the side of a piling while eeling last week. The fish bite the piling, and came 3/4 of the way out of the water after the wave passed. Neat looking fish.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Live Crabs

Live female crabs. I had a hard time finding em lately some shops selling em dead or sort of alive. Found the best crabs ever Friday am Lynnhaven Seafood (Dockside) live big females 8 bucks a dozen man what a deal and they were perfect.

·
Registered
485 Posts
good job on the togs...they will eat clams and mussels...but crabs are best...

·
Registered
389 Posts
togg

what are you looking for when you pick your spot off of Cap Henry? What is the best way to hook up on open water?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts