Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Nobody should take anybody's word when it comes to knowing the regulations. Go directly to the source.

https://webapps.mrc.virginia.gov/public/reports/swrecfishingrules.php

The've got a good mobile app too.

That doesn't mean don't trust people...but we all make mistakes, and sometimes things change with little notice. For some things it is better to check the source and remove any doubt.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
TAUTOG

Tautog
Regulation 4 VAC 20-960-10 et seq.

Minimum Size Limit: 16 IN.

Possession Limit: 3 per person

Season: Closed Season: May 1 - Sept 19

Capture Citation: 9 Lbs

Release Citation: 23 IN.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have never tried for tog. Where is a good place for my first attempt? And what is the best choices for bait? After the last two striper seasons I think that I will l leave them alone.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I have never tried for tog. Where is a good place for my first attempt? And what is the best choices for bait? After the last two striper seasons I think that I will l leave them alone.
Live fiddler crabs or cut up blue crab. Fish right up next to the pilings or over the rocks at the CBBT.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
use a tog rig or look up on the u-tube how to make your own. it depends on how long you are there but I buy 2 or 3 dozen fiddlers for 2 or 3 people for a few hours. feel for tap, they bite gently and before you know it, your bait is gone. take plenty of sinkers. if the tide is running strong, they stay in their hole between the rocks. after you catch them and decide to bring some home for dinner, u-tube video on how to filet, their skin is tough. good luck

·
Registered
356 Posts
Terry, thanks for the details. I will do some you tube home work before my first attempt. Does anybody know if Wallace's has fiddlers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts