Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How will this weather effect the turkeys tomorrow morning. Looks like a hard n'east blow and maybee a bit of rain. I have killed a few, but am a rookie. How will this weather effect the birds?

·
Registered
455 Posts
It will shut some down but it only takes one. They will be harder to hear on the roost. Don't get too close and bump them out of the tree. With the wind and no leaves it is easy to get too close. If you have a friction call (Glass, Slate or Box call) it is the way to go in the wind. The sound carries much better. I think it will be raining a little also. Gobblers love to go to fields in wind and rain, when all else fails go to a field set a few decoys if you have them (not necessary) and call evey few minutes. Start soft increase the volume for the next fifteen minutes then tone back down. I would do this for several hours if you have the time. I have been watching a flock of turkeys close to home and in the wind they are always in the fields. The gobblers fans will blow over and almost hit them in the head. It does not stop the daily activity, just alters them a little. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ON the farm I hunt they roost over the swamp and can actually see the field from their roost. We usually sit on the field with a decoy. This year they have been comming out at different times for some reason. They have been using the field on the other side of the swamp one day and ours the next. I have a slate call and usually only call very lightly. We have had them fly stright to the decoy off of the roost a few times. Hopefully things will work out. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
27 Posts
Heavy wild makes it hard. they can't hear and neither can you. Heavy rain shoud make they leave tha wood for open fields. If the rain stop they sould be in the open trying to dry out. Nothing works all the time and for nothing works the sameway twice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts