Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did it. After 32+ years with the federal government's USDA agency, I retired effective today. Been thinking about it for two years and this year the timing was perfect. I have enjoyed every day working with the farmers in my area but now hope to enjoy every minute of my retirement.

I plan to do more fishing this year as last year I accumulated all the leave time I could for the "big" lump sum payment that is due me.

Will probably look for some part-time work later in the spring just to feed my "fishing habit".

I hope the fishing remains as good as it has been over the past several seasons!

Cattail

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Congratulations on your retirement. I hope your number of fishing days increases.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Go for it Cattail. I am envious.

Please fish, crab and post how your trips go. I have a while with uncle to go still myself but am ready now.
After 12 years with AT&T and 19 years with Uncle Sam I am ready to retire but just dont have the age, I still have a young family, etc. PLus, with this economy I dont want to jeopardize anything. So, I guess I can live vicariously through your posts.

BOL!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I finally did it. After 32+ years with the federal government's USDA agency, I retired effective today.
Cattail
CONGRATULATIONS! I will join you in 9 months from next week after 35 yrs. with the Dept of Defense, many lengthy overseas assignments and no regrets. We're both fortunate that we have this shared passion. Too many people stay on because they don't have anything else. You must be estatic. After being off over the holidays, I sure don't feel like going back in on Monday. Have FUN! Jim

·
Registered
323 Posts
Enjoy your retirement. I'm envious as well. I started a little later and don't fall under CSRS which I assume you do. I've got 22 years in and at least another 22 to go under FERS.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
After 35 years of teaching other peoples children how to make a living, I took the plunge May of 1999. There have been absolutely no negatives. You get up each day and do exactly what you want to do.

Stay healthy and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
congradulations.hunt,fish,watch the paint dry.I will take the plunge in about two weeks when newark chrysler closes.I plan to work out of my garage for my fishing habit.Hope to meet you on the water or at shows.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Congratulations on your retirement. From your post it sounds like you worked for FSA, right?
I retired from USDA (FSA) 2 years ago when they offered the buyouts. No regrets. Look forward to seeing you out on the water and enjoy your retirement.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Congrats; Just so happens that today is 15th ann. of my retirement from DOD after 32 years. It is great not to have certain schedual everyday. Like someone else said, its great to be able to crab & fish on weekdays.:thumbup: Best of luck, stay busy and stay healthy. George

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Congrats and good luck.

Been 1 1/2 yrs for me and the boss and i are still adjusting to it. it has not been all roses, but beats working and getting up to drive to work. :clapping2::D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Congrats!

Wish I was even close...but at 50 I'm a ways off. I love teaching, but I can foresee a time in the future when my patience with teenagers will evaporate. You are a lucky man! Enjoy the fishing during the week. It's one benefit of teaching--having some time during the summer to fish mid week--that helps make up for the challenges.
:clapping2:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Congrats! I wish I could join you. I'm going to start collecting social security in May, but will probably have to work two more years before I call it quits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts