Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I am on here as a newbe asking a few questions. Myself and a friend are heading out saturday and are wondering what is the best Top water plugs or poppers for these stripers? I am new to fishing the bay and just dont have the experience yet. any info will help so much. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
I usually use topwater baits around the rocks of the islands, so I like something durable... the Striper Swiper works well, and holds up well. BUT, really, anything that'll chug and make some noise is good.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Is anyone cathcing these on topwater at the M&M or JRB? I usually take my largemouth tackle box and chunk some of that topwater stuff.

·
Registered
217 Posts
WhoCares asked me to drop by this thread.

Here's my take: Look for plugs that rattle, the louder, the better. Top Dogs are great baits, they have one big ball in them and almost mimmick a Croaker. Other successful baits include Jumpin Minnows, Ghosts, Spooks, etc....remember to rattle the package at the bait shop.
Colors, I prefer a few specific ones, Black back with gold or silver sides, Chartreuese with gold or silver sides, all Chartreuse, White with Red head, Black back, gold sides, orange belly.
I prefer the aforementioned plugs over the chugs or "spitters", those you just seem to yank hard and fast, the others you want to "walk the dog" with intermittent retieve, stop once in a while, vary the speed of the retrieve.
Under the birds a topwater is absolutely deadly, gulls won't go after a Chartreuse topwater like they will any other color (they really are just "rats with wings"). Around the islands of the CBBT, hold the boat bow into the tidal current and flip the bait up to the rocks (good casting accuracy minimizes the spend on topwaters!)........

There are times that no other bait will out fish a properly presented topwater, bar none. They are deadly on Specks and Pups too, just not in real cold water as the fish are real lethargic this time of year in the back bays.

Good luck, post your successes!
Bill
Sylvan Beach Fishing Club

1 - 15 of 15 Posts