Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, To really walk the dawg with top water lures what gear ratio should one consider in a manly man bait caster reel. Found some 8" Super Spooks at BPS the other day I'd like to toss up on the flats come spring.

Thanks!
Formerly KenCraft-215

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
5.5 or higher makes it a little easier. I use a SHimano Crovalus for throwing big baits on the flats and it's worked out pretty well.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother and fellow manly man baitcaster,
I like my old Curado 201 SF for throwing topwater on the Flats. But I was using a big Stillwater Smack-it and not a walk the dog style topwater bait. I don't know what the retreive ratio is.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Two schools of thought

First reel needs to be 5.5 or higher that is a given. But what rod is the big question.

If you use an above the head rod tip retreave then a long seven foot rod with a quick tip is a good choice. It makes long casts and can realy lean on a big fish. But if any wind is out there the dog walking will be lost half way back..

The second school of thought is a short six foot with fast tip rod. Held loosely with rod tip down and line tip about four inches above the water a more controlled dog walk and more effective side to side motion can be acheived in heavy wind. But you lose distance in cast..

Capt Mike

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I like to use a 6ft rod with a quick tip and alot of backbone. Keep the tip pointed to the water and work the walk.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Braid is great for hooksets but you will pull the hook out early if your rod tip is'nt flexible enough. Don't pick a rod with a stiff tip or you will lose more fish. The bass guys learned awhile ago to use soft flexible glass rods for this type of fishing.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I use an Avet SX 6/4 2 speed reel for throwing top water lures. At 6.3:1 it has plenty of speed. With this reel I'm using a Steve F custom made 7' one piece rod. It has a high speed tip and med/hvy backbone but is light enough to cast all day. I have Steve make my rods with extra long cork handles which gives the rod just the right balance and also provides extra leverage for longer casts which I need when throwing top waters at both IRI and OC inlets. I'm spooled with 30# braid which I find necessary. For me this is the perfect combination.

Tony Tochterman has me talked into giving the new Diawa boat line a try. It's a six strand braided line that's smooth as silk. The MSRP is 50% more than Power Pro so work your own deal. I had him spool my Avet MX that I use for off shore jigging but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Maybe next weekend I'll give it a try on the Morning Star.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts