Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
4 door topless traps, hands down. Ive done the working comps and they work better 2-1.
I am migrating to all 4 door topless ctpx. I like Foxymates, but am looking forward to seeing K krabpots 4 door topless.

IMHO!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I don't have the expertise of many on the board, but I also vote for the four door topless trap. Even if they only caught the same amount, the stackability of the topless would make them my choice anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
good question

most the time i would agree but sometimes, not very often, they prefer full box and/or hoops. hoops usually caught the bigger ones until i started to use the topless traps. i'm gettin tired of em though, to hard on my body gonna do more trotline this year i hope ;D

·
Registered
667 Posts
Do you have to keep pulling fast like with rings? I am going to buy some traps this year and was afraid of the topless because I'm tired of seeing crabs scoot out of my rings when the grnadchildren are pulling them in.

Mike

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
mburrows870,
Crabs will come out of Topless traps but rarely. Try the comp test for a season with a mix of traps and see what you think. I like topless better now. I love bottomless too, but thats another topic all together. :pp

·
Registered
42 Posts
usually when i use the topless traps i just tell people to pop and pull. works better for some than others though. you still have to give a more constant pull that with the full boxes, but not near as much as with the hoops

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,302 Posts
Topless ........ definitely topless ......... speaking of that did anyone take a close look at the traps that were being sold at the Pasadena Flea Market last week? ........ coated, strong frame and webbed corners .......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just wonderin...

Mainly I'm a trotliner but, as most of us know, early and late season catching requires traps. My question stems from the reply about the "coated" traps. All (or most) of the traps I use are older and and vary in condition from a little rusty to "I can't believe that thing is still standing" I have been experimenting for a few years and keeping an un-official count and it seems that "seasoned" traps by far out produce new or plastic coated traps (I threw all of them, the coated ones, away). Anyone else have similar results? It has gotten to the point where I let the new traps sit outside all winter just to age a little. I am also very interested and grateful for the information about the topless traps. As yet I have not tried them. After reading your replies i guess that they will go on the shopping list.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Traps

Few years back I made my own 2 door traps and I thought they were pretty good until I started using the 4 door topless traps, no comparison the 4 door produce. Today it's trotline but keep an arsenal of traps ready if required.

Good Luck!

John

·
Registered
229 Posts
OK I guess someone has to play devils advocate here!!! I HATE topless traps.

Last year I bought 15 topless traps because the board was praising them. I used 15 topless and 15 of my homemade 4 door traps and used them for about 6 trips. I saw no significant catch increase with the topless traps.

Topless traps are big, bulky, heavy (both to pull in the water and to cart to and from your boat), prone to tangles (especially the smaller line going to the 4 doors) because of the big loop in the frame at the top, you have to "hang" the floats off the side somewhere and require you to either keep them in a container (like a milk crate) or bungie the bottom one shut so the doors don't flop on deck. I don't even agree with the statement most people say about them taking up less space, not with the floats sticking out the sides.

All of my friends use topless traps and as I continue to use them (on their boats) I still HATE them......I have given them enough time.

Topless traps are a pleasure to bait. They also take less trips to cart them from the truck to the boat (they will give you a back ache though...they are heavy). Not an issue for me, my traps stay get stored in the cabin. That's about the only advantages I saw.

Needless to say I sold all my topless traps last year.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
ND,
I understand your points. I like my T-Tpx and just bought another 10 at BPS.

For this Chicken necker, nothing beats them. Except the thrill of hand lines from the pier.

I like TLing too, just got away from it in the last 4 years bc the tpx, to me, are so kid friendly. I also like being able to place 3 rows of tpx in different areas/depths to find the crabs and then move all tpx the that same area/depth.

I so hope to get rigged the way you are in the future though. Maybe this year, we can hook up.

Dave

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dave,

I know.....Almost everyone prefers the topless traps. I was just pointing out what I feel are their negative points, because I believe there are several.

I'd really like to get together this year. We've been talking about doing this for a couple of years and it had just never happened.

I'll bmail you.

ND

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am with Dave on this. Having used both, all I can say about topless is they stack nice in the boat. Other then that, Foxy low profiles beat them every time. The main thing I have noticed is the increase in "hangers" caught with low profile. I have seen very few if any crabs half way in the trap caught with topless. The drag in the water is another thing. I crab with kids and the topless are just nasty on them. Running a two boat comparison, side by side, same tide, same water, 30 traps, hardly any room between our line of traps, etc... I always catch more then my buddy who loves those things.

Just another opinion from someone who has used both.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts