Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "topped off" my batteries yesterday w/ distilled water and put 1 on a maintainence "float" charger. When I went down this morning to unplug it, there was water on the side and under the battery, as well as around the cap-plates. My float charger is a slow 2 amp smart charger that switches off when fully charged, so I know I wasn't overcharging and boiling my battery. However there was no mark or directions as to "how full" the battery should be.

So, did I overfill my batteries? How can you tell what level the water should be? I haven't added any water in 3 years. And a few of the cells were lower than others.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
UJ, it's been my experience that you only want to keep the lead plates submerged + a little but not full to the the point of having the water all the way up in the individual filler necks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Those little cones that sit inside of each cell are the fill indicators. When the water level reaches the indicator it's easy to see (it "dimples" the water, don't know how else to describe it). That's the max you should add water. Sometimes, as long as the plates aren't exposed, add the water after you charge - charging raises the electrolyte level.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Too full and then a charge causes the overflow condition you experienced. Charging casues a certain amount of heat which causes expansion hence the overflow.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I extracted some of the water (carefully) from the cells and put my starting battery on the charger last night and had no issues. So I'm good to go. Have full batteries, will travel!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wore gloves and eye protection, rolled up some paper towels and soaked up some water, and put it out in the trash. Trash wasn't smoking this morning when I left [grin]. I did notice that the spot where the battery was sitting when it leaked has this weird shiny look to it.

Friday is when I get launched, so I'll find out when I turn the key!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.