Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a complete how-to. What to use, where to try it, when to try it, what to look for.....

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
767 Posts
One,
You might want to register for the Potomac River Anglers Club website, it's free and will give you access to lots of people, like me, that fish in your area. DO a google search for potomac river anglers club and you can register there.

It looks like you're out of Tall Timbers so take your boat out into the river look up, down and across river for birds/breaking fish (schools) and ease over to them to cast stingsilvers, castmasters, storm shad or poppers to catch as many fish as you want. They're biting everything now. Ragged Pt light directly across from you has been decent lately.

You may need to drive around a little but there are lots of fish. You can always troll casting lures when slow to pick up a straggler. Also try trolling clark spoons with planer boards, spanish macs love em. Talk to your local tackle shop about what you need, troll 6 kts for macs less for rocks & blues. Good luck!

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you can locate breaking fish, most any type of small top water bait will work.

I use a fly rod sometimes now with a green and white streamer fly that has sopme flash in it. Green Tops sells them for $1.85! Also have a good sized black and silver popper that they like.

I have caught Rockfish to 24" like this (BIG FUN) and blues. I hope to add spanish to the list soon.

My fly rig is a simple $8 reel on a browning #8 that I have had for years fresh water fishing.

You don't need a $100 rig to have fun with this stuff or to get started. You should however blood knot you about 12" of power pro or other superbraid at the tippett to sasve bite-offs, and use a clear mono or flourocarbon tippet (I use 20#) for about 8'.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Suggestion to add to ScottNRA's advice: when you blood knot the super braid to the mono leader, put a drop of super glue on the knot to lock it on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts