Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year wifey got me a Shimano Torium 16 matched with a 7ft Inshore Extreme MH casting rod. It's a bit heavy to cast anything but the heavies lures, and I think I would put a similiar levelwind to better use on the troll.

Great bday present, but I have only used it once and am thinking about selling or trading the Torium for a similiar size Tekota. Seems like they're just about the same except for the levelwind feature, which we've found we like for trolling. Does anyone have any thoughts on the two, and if it would be a good trade?

Andy

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I have both and both have thier place but for most fishing I prefer the Torium. For the bay however if you troll at all you would be better off with the Tekota.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Might be a difference in gear ratio. I think the Torium is 6.2 or so which personally I think is too high for pulling in heavy trolling rigs in the bay.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would go with the tld 25. I have a boat set of them and have two toriums I run on the boards with small umbrellas. I also use them for jigging etc. The tld can be used off shore as well.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Andy- I have 4 Shimano Tekota 800 on the boat and really like them. I use them on the longer/lighter lines as they have a 4.5:1 ratio which gets the fish back to the boat a little quicker. Hopefully you will get to try them next month.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
I just bought 6 GTI's from a guy switching his trolling gear to tekotas. He is a seasoned bay fisherman who I trust his judgement a lot. I havent used them but his word means something (at least to me)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies ya'll, I think I'm going to move towards a Tekota after trying'em out on Capt Morgan's trip in April. Charkbait- I'll bmail you when I make the move if you're still interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts