Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had long planned a fishing trip with my girlfriend's family hoping for some spring rockfish. As time closed in, I began getting worried about water clarity this weekend given the mud flowing from the Susquehanna, but with them in town we decided to go for a boat ride and see if we could luck into a fish or two. No one except for me and her uncle were up for the usual ungodly hour of starting the trip, so we didn't get out of the Magothy until 9:30 or so. I warned them that we would have to run south, maybe way south, to find some clean water, and run we did.

Past 86 or so, the clarity improved modestly to the point of being fishable, so we dropped the 12 rod spread in the water just north of Bloody. We worked our way south towards 84 in deep water with no knockdowns before heading west towards Deale to try some shallower water. We never found really consistent marks, but ran through a few pods of bait, but never had any knockdowns. While pulling in the spread in the afternoon, the last board tandem popped from the clip as I was reaching for it in the rodholder. Would have been nice to salvage the day, but if it was a fish it didn't come tight so we headed home. By most accounts on the radio, it was a slow day for others out there as well. In retrospect it may have been better to try for some croaker to get some pullage if not a fish to brag about. Oh well. Beautiful day on the water with good company. Just one fish would have made it perfect, but it wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
All you can do is try for them but like you said, Still a good family boat ride. Nothing you did wrong. the water is just too dirty and only good fishing is Solomans and south.............Gary

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Hey Reed,

I had one of those long boat rides yesterday. One thing is for sure if you don't show up you have no chance to catch any.

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
You gave it a heck of a try - been a very tough bite for most.

Being out on the water in nice weather is the great part , catching a few fish just adds to it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
We picked up one (38) just north of 83 and lost two just off 84a today, we finally got the skunk off the boat, this was our 4th trip of the season. Water was dirty, could barely see the umbrellas when they hit the water. Saw a few others boating fish but nothing to brag about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts