Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bro-in-law and I chartered a boat today down here. We arrived at the dock at 6AM and we were by ourselves. By 7AM all the crews and capts showed up. Wind blowing 19SE and gustin to 23 knots. They said it would be ruff but we were ready. Despite the winds the seas were not real bad(mostly 3-4' with some 5-7 foot rollers mixed in)Ran 1.5 hours out to the spot and arrived at 830AM lines in. While trolling some bally the mates tried to catch some live bait. No bites and no live bait till 10:30AM. Mates finally had some luck with live bait and within 10 min of live baits out on lines trolling we had our first sail on. That was the start of a rough time. Second fish jumped on minutes after the first and I began crankin. Got mine up to the boat for a quick release and jumped right on the next fish. Things kept being tough till 12:30 when we had to head in(half day trip 8 hours). Ended up with 6 sails on and got 5 of them for the release. Great trip and the fish gods were lookin out for us(day before they didnt get one). I could get used to this tough fishing down here. Getting up at 5:30AM and back to the pool by 2:30PM. No 2-3 hour drive to OI or HI, no 65 mile ride out etc. Might have to force myself to do this again next year. Wish I didnt have to come back friday!!!!:rockingreport: :rockingreport:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It was 78 degrees here in North Carolina, cobalt-blue seas on a flat ocean, 2-3 ft. seas on a 5kt. SW breeze. Every boat that went out limitted out on tuna, caught tons of wahoo, bull gaffers up to 55 pounds, and so on... and so on......:D

Fuel prices have gone back down to $1.25 for regular unleaded......

Hurry home.... there's great weather coming up this weekend too.....:D

·
Registered
586 Posts
It was good fishing while I was there in Feb. Maybe troll more. Live bait was not the thing when I was there. We fished on the birds and bait, trolling around them. We saw atleast 100 fish the second day.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Nice Martin congrats on the sails.
Brian: We almost forgot to tell him the most important news;

Imus must have bought a boat...... word is out that he's looking for some HO's.......

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It was good fishing while I was there in Feb. Maybe troll more. Live bait was not the thing when I was there. We fished on the birds and bait, trolling around them. We saw atleast 100 fish the second day.:thumbup:
Raymond - he must have been on a local boat. Live bait fishing is illigal for american boats. Only the local fleet has been given the priviledge to use live bait.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kevin, we had 3 or 4 pulls and 1 bite off besides the ones we hooked. Im sure we would have had a lot more if we had live bait earlier and if we had stayed out longer. The capt was a local at a marina called World Wide Sport Fishing Charters. The boat name was Aventura S.. We are staying at the Cancun Palace. Nice place but most of the hotels are since all are almost new. Most everything down here got wiped off the map when Wilma(I think she was a cat. 5 hurricane)came thru 3 years ago. Shame I got to come back to the cold tomorrow. Talk to ya'll soon. Martin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts