Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out with Buddabud at about 10:30am on Saturday. The plan was to head south to 72 with the goal of breaking in some of my new trolling gear. On the way, decided to try the HI marker, which has been very productive for me in the past. We trolled the HI, then turned south and zig-zagged all the way to 72A. On the way, one of our tandems off the planer went off and I thought "IT'S ON!". Long story short, we must've snagged something, which was surprising in 50+ feet of water!

While trolling, I peeked into the livewell and realized that I had left two spot in there last week and they were still alive! Having successfully LL'ed the pilings of the Rt4 bridge last week, we headed there. No takers. The two lonely spot died pretty quickly and we couldn't jig anything up. We then decided to head out toward Cove Point to look for birds/breakers. There were lots of birds, but most were sitting and a few were working baitfish individually.

On the way in, we saw some activity on the surface and ran into a really big school of dink rockfish. We cleared the skunk smell off the boat with 20-30 throwback rocks ranging from 12" to 17".

It was a beautiful day on the water even though the fishing was tough. Gonna try trolling 'em up next weekend. Hopefully the big ones will be up our way then.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I fished the Gas docks out to the HI bouy and then up the Eastern shore to buoy 74ish . I also snagged something in 45 feet of water maybe a susupend log. The total cost of the snag was 3 rigs. I know it wasn't bottom because one rig had 8 ounces of inline and a umbrella with 2 storm shads trailing 125' out I figure that to be 20 couple feet deep,

Like you caught some in the breakers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was also out there in the morning trolling from my sailboat under power.
I didn't see anything.....no fish, no birds working fish.
Just a very nice day in the Bay off the Patuxent.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The odd/frustrating thing for us was that we marked tons of bait and what looked to be good-sized fish. I think they're just scattered right now and the onesa here are 1-2 weeks ahead of the pack.

The beautiful weather made up for the tough fishing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, belive me it happens to all of us. I didn't even go out this weekend after my skunk last weekend. Hoping there coming cause next weekend I'm going to hit it hard. Pulled the 20 rod spread out and blew the dust of the planners today.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
sadly you were not alone

Ouch...
Started at CP then to hi then Chinese muds then found something inside but it was only small peanuts w/nuttin bothering them,then the bridge all w/o even a bite.It makes the good days count even more after a day like that.
Did have my fishing bud Van onboard which made the day better.:clapping2:
The carnage will start as soon as the temps get in the low 50's so we just need to be patient.
Saw Walleye early but he was moving around alot which is not a good sign till he headed East, I hope he did well.:fishing2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts