Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out from Sandy Point at 8:30 am - after stopping by Anglers for info and ice. Charlie told me it has been tough bite for Perch in main bay - not good news with Wish a Fish event on Saturday.

WAF counts on bottom fishing to keep the kids busy and excited.

Thanked Charlie for info and put boat in water. Got rods racked in holders and realized I had forgotten to buy the ice I stopped in for. Damn - but then saw the Sandy Point marina / fuel dock open and got two bags there at decent price. Nice little store - they got crabbing / fishing gear - some bait - and ice.

Fishing alone has advantage - I can try lots of places with no pressure to catch. Worked all along Dollys lump area - bridge area - up into 5 feet and out as far as 35 feet. Tried drifting and anchoring - nothing. Current was moving nice ( incoming ) - saw a lot of bait on surface and meter - plus few Rays. They show up cool on side scan unit.

Made few phone calls - advice was to go into shallow water - like 2-3 feet along shore , not option in my boat and surely not in the bigger WAF boats. Other advice - go up to Magothy.

I started zig zagging north past bridge and checked out some oyster shell bottom in 15 feet near light house. Saw blips and soon had slow pick of Perch. Most were 4-6 inchers - nice for live lining.

Fellow TFer Mlag ( Mark ) called me - he was heading back to South river after fishing near Baltimore light. He had some extra Perch for me - dropped them off and said it was slim pickings until up near Magothy.

Tried few more areas for Perch as current was running nice. Took short run to Podickery and anchored in 30 feet but south of chumming fleet.

Put over two rods with Perch - one under a BFG float - one on bait runner. Both were weighted and almost on bottom. Did not take long before the rod without float got hit. Nice 25 Rock in the box. Rebaited and soon got another about 23. Pulled anchor and ran back near Sandy Point to continue Perch hunt.

Only got a few - plus couple 14-15 inch Rock on bloodworm pieces. Ran back about 1:30 - and put boat back on trailer.

Helped out a guy at ramp - his winch clutch was acting up. Had DNR folks do a survey - measure the fish - they said not many people bringing in Perch - mostly Rock by chumming.

Tough to believe Rock are easier to catch right now then Perch. Hopefully the WAF boat owners don't mind having to run up to Magothy on Saturday - but looks like that is hotspot for Perch right now.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
There are plenty of perch in the Severn, if the kids can cast, then I'm sure you can get on some. I feel silly suggesting that you might need a couple spots to check...but if you do, PM me!

Trev

·
Registered
14,252 Posts
With all the charter and head boats coming up from Solomans, Chesapeake Beach, Deale and Kent Island, along with the recs, the perch and rock have taken a major ass whipping north of the bridge........ Gary

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
I found a few keepers last weekend but only under covered docks/piers in about 10 feet. They were hiding from sun late morning. They ate small jighead with 3" power bait twister grubs:

Font Rectangle Handwriting Symbol Logo
Reptile Scaled reptile Font Serpent Symbol
I have had open and sealed bags of these since around 2005 and they still have scent work great...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts