Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I got to the boat ramp at Harbor Hospital at 5:15am. Easy boat ramp to launch from in the am, not always easy getting back in due to fishermen on the piers casting way out. My friend walked the boat down the pier while I backed it in. While pulling the trailer out felt the flat tire right away. Picked up a big piece of brass that cut a one inch slice in the tire. There's always a lot of trash on the platform left from the high tide which was near low now. Put the trailer on the lot and told my friend we will deal with that in the light when we get back. Went to put the trim down on the motor and it would not go up or down. The trim motor was working but no movement. Been having an issue with it sounding gritty going up and put trim fluid in several weeks ago. Thought that was a done issue Finally after working the buttons for 15 minutes it moved. When I got home I drained all of the old and added new fluid. Seems to be working now, hopefully no more problems.
Now the good news. We did land a skinny 23" and a 20 " rock along with 10 nice perch. The biggest was 11.75 ". Found some marks of perch stacked up back in the creek We were on the tail end of the slack tide but did manage to get a few to hit. Only kept the bigger ones.

Food Staple food Fish Cuisine Ingredient

Rectangle Textile Creative arts Art Line

Mike

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike you be getting out early!
The 1st hour of sunlight in the morning is the best time for stripers to hit in the shallows. I'm at work everyday at 5:15am so my fishing starts then as well. On and off the water early, home by 12:30pm. My wife has lunch ready for me, shower and wash the boat down. Now it's time to cut grass or other house duties. Watch the 7 month old grandson on Sundays from 10:00am til 5pm. Very busy week, 2 years till retirement.

Mike

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes sir, you were out well before first light. Glad to see it paid off. Judging by the sonar picture they were thick as thieves. I take pictures of my sonar as well. It's my way of keeping a fishing diary because it documents the date, water temp, the depth the fish are in, along with trolling speeds if I am trolling. I have the same unit on my fresh water boat as well.
Sorry to hear about the tire. I assume you were able to break the lung nuts free without the weight of the boat on the trailer?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes sir, you were out well before first light. Glad to see it paid off. Judging by the sonar picture they were thick as thieves. I take pictures of my sonar as well. It's my way of keeping a fishing diary because it documents the date, water temp, the depth the fish are in, along with trolling speeds if I am trolling. I have the same unit on my fresh water boat as well.
Sorry to hear about the tire. I assume you were able to break the lung nuts free without the weight of the boat on the trailer?
The lug nuts broke easily. When I took the truck to get 2 new tires because they always insist on 4 wheel drives you need similar tread wear and patterns, They are discontinued. The replacement tire treads are different so you now need 4 new tires.
Oh well they were 5 years old with 50,000 miles on them so it was near their time shortly.

·
Registered
348 Posts
@mremmfish
I get up pretty early around 4 or 5 but I can't do anything until I handle somethings ;). How close are you to the ramp? I put my boat in at the Pat a few years ago Fort Armistead. Wanted to try a free ramp and boy I saw why it was free. I can't remember if it was flooded in that area before I came but it was so much trash and sticks all over the parking lot. I was the only trailer up there.

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I took the truck to get 2 new tires because they always insist on 4 wheel drives you need similar tread wear and patterns, They are discontinued.
I know this is true for AWD. It will effect the viscous in the transfer case. I learned the hard way on my Mercury truck. AWD you need to make sure all tires are within the same tread depth, and air pressure or it will add wear on the viscous coupling. One tire goes out and its a 4 tire replacement or it will cost you.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
@mremmfish
I get up pretty early around 4 or 5 but I can't do anything until I handle somethings ;). How close are you to the ramp? I put my boat in at the Pat a few years ago Fort Armistead. Wanted to try a free ramp and boy I saw why it was free. I can't remember if it was flooded in that area before I came but it was so much trash and sticks all over the parking lot. I was the only trailer up there.
Steep ramp too and even try on any easterly wind or heavy boat traffic day, even with the break wall there

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@mremmfish
Only 10 minutes from the ramp. A lot of trash here as well. There is a new free ramp by the Coast Guard in Curtis Creek.I might have to try it out, just a longer ride to the fishing spots for stripers.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Only 10 minutes from the ramp. A lot of trash here as well. There is a new free ramp by the Coast Guard in Curtis Creek.I might have to try it out, just a longer ride to the fishing spots for stripers.
10 minutes nice. I would be getting it in early too then. Would not have to worry much about traffic and highway fools that turn their blinker on last minute to jump in front of yah. Seems like you got things dialed in I would keep using the same ramp. No need to drive further away from where you going unless there are real reasons.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike does your motor have that slot screw which will allows you to lower your motor manually? may have saved 15 mins. Early morning snafues always get under my skin with fish on the brain.
It does but I was unable to budge it. The motor is a 1999 so probably really corroded. My next project is to try and free it up. Going to take some pb blaster and a lot of torque.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts