Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Towboat US a good service on the Delaware Bay? I do about 50% of my boating on the Chesapeake and the rest on the lower Delaware. TowBoat US is good on the Chesapeake but are they worthwhile insurance on the lower Delaware?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The same guy owns the Tow Boat franchises at Slaughter Beach, Lewes, and Indian River. He keeps a boat at each location. You may have to wait about 2 hours for service, but that is the only game in town. FYI, the Coast Guard will only tow a boat if the boat is a hazzard to navigation(almost never). They will call a commercial towing company if you want them to. I think that the going rate is about $180/hr, from the time they leave the dock to the time they return home. I think that $120/yr for Tow Boat for unlimited service is well worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used the services out of Indian River. They were prompt and professional even off at the HotDog in less than ideal conditions. Also, good experience on DE Bay.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I’ve been a member of BoatUS for many years. As far as I am concerned it’s cheep insurance. I had to use Tow Boat US one time and when the guy got me pier side he said if I hadn’t had the insurance the bill would have been $650.00.

More and more folks are reluctant to tow you in. It messes up their day and if they take a line or give a line to a disabled boat, they assume reasonability for the boat and everyone on it. That’s too much to ask of someone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts