Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eminent brothers,
A buddy asked if I could use my Powerstroke to tow his boat to the dealer for some service work. Two problems....first the guy has a Grady and second, the boat is 9'3" wide. It is my understanding you need a special permit to tow a boat over 8'6" wide. But I see lots of overwide boats on the road and don't see them displaying any special permits. Any one know the real deal on towing overwide boats, especially if I have to cross a state line???

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
Over 8'6'' you are supposed to have a permit.Where is the boat and where does it need to go ?Sounds like a Grady 23 or 24' boat.Only wide in the middle so I doubt the man would catch you. Skip

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Oh Great Gray One,

Yes, technically you need permits. in MD for anything over 8'6" wide. Lots of folks ignore it and tow anyway, but you are sticking your neck out in terms of liability if you tow your buddy's boat without the permits.

They are easy to get. The pdf forms are available on-line. Fill it out and take it to a local office of SHA. I use the one up just So. of BWI airport.

Don't forget to count the axles on the tow vehicle, and know the distance between each axle and the weight on each axle.

See you tomorrow for breakfast. :)

·
6,372 Posts
John I tow w/ my 350 and do purchase the Hauling permit it is $50 for a Monthly or $500 for the year,there is also I think a single and 3 day permits cheaper.I would do it for the liability you never know what coild happen.I tow a 9-6 beam boat.Search Md. hauling permits.Good luck.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eminent Brothers,
Hard to believe, but; the guy was a friend before he got a Grady and he's a friend now even though he has a Grady. He's got some type of electrical problem and none of they typical Grady gingerbread seems to work. The boat appears to be too big to tow with his BMW. For $50 he said he'll spring for the towing permit. Thanks for the ghood advise

·
Registered
614 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
Hard to believe, but; the guy was a friend before he got a Grady and he's a friend now even though he has a Grady. He's got some type of electrical problem and none of they typical Grady gingerbread seems to work. The boat appears to be too big to tow with his BMW. For $50 he said he'll spring for the towing permit. Thanks for the ghood advise
Remember, if you cross the state line, you will need a permit in that state as well.

Regards,
TED

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Greybeard, All above is true. This is the # for the permit office by BWI on rt.176, 410-582-5718 tell them what you are doing and they take care of everything. There is a 30.00 book permit that would cover you but I think you have to buy the whole book of 10. If you have any problems I'll write you one for the 30.00.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eminent Brothers,
Well my buddy left me a message saying the dealer that sold him the boat (second hand) is coming to pick it up and bring it over the Bay Bridge to be repaired. So I'm off the hook, but; thanks for all the good info for the next time his Grady needs to be fixed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts