Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See a lot of guys tow their boats with their outboards in the down position. Doesn't seem like a lot of ground clearance that way. I tow my Grady with the 225 HP outboard raised and locked in the tow position.

Thoughts on which is better?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure it matters..

I have alot of clearance since the boat sits high on the trailer, therefore i tow with my outbpoards down, as long as you have clearance, i don't think it matters much...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tow with the motor down now use to put the motor up. I found the motor after a long trip (3 hr drive) worked its way to one side when in the up position and eventually caused the helm (SeaStar) to go bad, not sure if that is what killed the helm but the boat is only 4 years old. Down and locked when I travel and put the motor up when I put the boat into the water. Just what I do, I think in the Yamaha manual it gives guide lines.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I always tow with the motor up, b/c I worry about somebody hitting me from behind or me backing into someting. If its down I think I would have a bigger issue if that were to happen. my 3 cents

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
i also tow with the motor up and locked have heard horry stories of lower units screwed up from drivers not paying attention...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I tow all my boats with the motor/motors in the upright position, or as close as possible,, I was told once by a great dealer, that this way puts less strain on the transom when bumping down the road,, phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yamaha now recomends that you tow with the engine secured on a new mount. It is a piece of pvc with a rubber piece thaqt mounts over the trim cylinder. The tabs on the side of the motor can not take the bouncing with the large V6 and V8 outboards bouncing down the road while towing.

Check with your dealer or just make one yourself. 1.5" pvc about 8 inches long. Use one for a V6 and two for a V8.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i also tow with the motor in the up position,,,, however in my little john boat i tow with the motor down ,, the little boat just doesnt have the transom strenght.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've always towed my twin engines so that they were trimmed partially up. It cleared all driveways & ramps. The trick is to trim the motors up until they go into fast-trim mode. Then hit the down button until the motors just barely hit slow-trim mode. The slow-trim hydraulics can handle the bouncing. Also, you may have to turn your motors slightly to one side to ensure the rigging flex-tubes aren't pinched. With my Suzuki 115's that means you turn the wheel slightly to port.

You can always tape a big red flapping piece of red plastic to the lower unit to get the attention of the bozo following too closely behind.

Catch

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My .02 here:
Have had DAWGONIT professionally moved, Nov '03 up here from Penscacola, then back to Pensacola this spring. This is what they do for a living and they (YAM F225's) were both up & locked on each trip.
Granted she was on a 53' air-ride-equipped flatbed both times, but these guys haul for thousands of miles w/o incident.
Certainly up to you how you do it &/or preference, but this has worked for me.
Best,
Evan.

Fishing from the blue waters of the Gulf of Mexico to the Norfolk Canyon on the GW 330 Express DAWGONIT

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Up or down, I always worry about getting rear-ended, especially in this area. Good time to mention that BRIGHT and WORKING trailer lights can't be a bad thing...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yamaha now recomends that you tow with the engine secured on a new mount. It is a piece of pvc with a rubber piece thaqt mounts over the trim cylinder. The tabs on the side of the motor can not take the bouncing with the large V6 and V8 outboards bouncing down the road while towing.

Check with your dealer or just make one yourself. 1.5" pvc about 8 inches long. Use one for a V6 and two for a V8.
Can you post a picture of this thing? Thanks in advance.

Dave
Island Bound

·
Registered
103 Posts
In the up position

I use 2 short lengths of gray pvc electrical conduit (i think it's 3/4 inch diameter).
I trim up and place them on the tilt rams and lower the engine to them.
Takes the weight off the transom and off the motor lock mech.
The tilt rams and housing there are built to take a lot of stress just trimming the boat.
JMHO,
Bob

·
Registered
669 Posts
If I towed mine in the down postion I would never make it out of the driveway ( believe I know from experience ! ) Lol But I have a 16' cc key largo is probably why.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I use the M Y Wedge which is what Shaggy posted. This is the best way to trailer give plenty of ground clearance and very little stress on the transom. I have seen the engine locks on on a motor snap twice when trailering. Get the Wedge my dealer gave me a set when I boughht my boat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts