Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Early thoughts as I have just purchased a 2011 Tundra double cab with the 5.7 and heavy duty package. It is a 2wd truck, has the 6 speed auto tranny and 4.30 rear, and is rated to tow 10,100lbs by the new SAE standards. While I have towed only twice with the truck I am very impressed with it over my 2006 Silverado with 5.3. First of all the suspension is much stiffer than the silverado. I did have aftermarket airbags in the silverado to stiffen the rear up. I am not sure I am going to need them with the tundra. She does squat quite a bit but there is still ample float with the heavy tongue weight I have on the trailer. I primarily chose the tundra due to the deal on the table but the truck has pleanty of features that gave me confidence in its purchase. Those items are HUGE brakes, tons of power, and a 6 speed tranny with the option to manually select the gears of the truck, which is great for travelling down rolling hilled roads where a truck is shifting too much.

The cab is very comfortable to me and despite not having a full crew cab has ample room for even taller passengers in the back seat. The tundra double cab is between the ford and chevy extended cabs and their crew cab models. It offers regually opening doors too. The tundra crew cab is bigger than most brands and competes with the dodge megacab. My only grip in the cab is that some of the plastic stuff looks cheap compared to the ford and the radio seems far from the driver. Other than that it has been very comfortable with the long days I put in the truck on the road in my sales job.

Powerwise, the truck feels like it has GOBS of power. With nearly 400hp and over 400ft-lbs of torque, there is no comparison to the old 295hp 5.3 I used to pull with. I havent even punched it to the floor to see what she will do but the power goes beyond my needs.

The 6 speed tranny is very smooth and is a novelty to me right now. I am still getting used to the more frequent shifting when not towing but the shifts are quick and smooth.

I still dont have the motor completely broken in but I have seen an average of about 17mpg when not towing between the highway and city driving I do. I will post updates to this thread as I get more experience with the truck.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Ok I have driven the truck for 3000 miles now. I think it is a fantastic truck. Tons of power, smooth shifting, great handling compared to my 2004 Suburban and previous 2006 Silverado. The traction control is fantastic and the truck handles the low snow fall and ice well despite being 2wd. Gripes are that she is a bit noisy in the cab. The engine seems to drone a bit at certain RPMS. The fuel tank is also too small. i dont know why v8 trucks dont have at least a 30-35gal tank. Also, the average fuel mileage has been as low as 15.5 and I typically average in the mid 16's. This is almost 2mpg less than my silverado. However I have about 100 more hp and the gear ratio is very low in the tundra at 4.30. Gotta feed the ponies.

Towing-wise. It is night and day compared to my silverado. Of course my silverado had a much softer suspension, disk brakes on the front only, and a much higher gear ratio with much lower hp. Traction contr

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
2007 tundra owner here. 75k on it. had a 5.3 chevy before. i tow a 25 maycraft PH with it. 8500# package wt.

pros:
rides alittle stiffer than the chevy in the rear end.
a little more power
better braking

cons:
about 17 hwy
my tranny has a loud clunk at one shift point now
metal on it is VERY dent prone
parts are expensive!

overall, if i would do it again, i wouldnt have bought one. i really dotn notice that much of a difference in towing power to give up the 3 mpg better milage i was getting with the chevy. i dont go super fast, and dont punch it at stoplights either. a chevy 3/4 ton is a great truck and gives comparable fuel economy depending on how its driven. the 5.3 and 6.0 chevy engines are simply the best on the market in their respective niches. we'll see how much longer my tranny holds up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts