Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone be interested in an evening trip to TPL tomorrow (Thursday 6/15). Launching b/w 4 and 5pm and fishing till sunset?
Low tide is at 3:15 so the water should be moving real well right about that time.

I don't know what the best launch site is there, if anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmmm. scratch that. Probably should have checked the weather forecast as well.

Friday? Should be better. Winds should be from the SW by the afternoon (not sure exactly what time though).

I do the weekend, but I'm worried boat traffic will make it tough.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I've stared at google maps for a long time looking for a better launch site, and there just isn't anything better than the rip rap at TPL state park... with NO parking anywhere.

TPL state park is restricted access, technically, and you need a permit to drive in it. Someone walking their dog told me that the guy who owned the vacant lot a few lots up from the park entrance was never around, and I dumped my yak inside the park gate and parked at the vacant lot. You can launch over the rip rap about 30 yards inside the gate (watch out for poison ivy... there was lots).

This is FAR from convenient... and you risk getting in trouble... especially with a crowd.

The next best options I can see is Truxton Park or, somwhere in Eastport, or perhaps even the eastern shore. All of those are several mile paddles though... not great for an evening fishing outing. If you had all day that's another story.

I think the best launch would be to obtain a permit from Quiet Waters park (sign on TPL state park says call them for details) to use TPL, and then launch from the tip of the peninsula over the rip-rap (popular surf fishing location). Two or more people would make launching much more doable... could carry yaks over the rip rap.

The bite was still on as of yesterday (6/13) evening, according to my sources.

I could go thursday, but you're right... looks windy. I'm out until Saturday evening after that for an out of town wedding.

Josh

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
sorry, double post when editing

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Give me 2 weeks to get my new yak rigged up and Ill be hitting TPL area often. I know a few launches in Hillsmere but you have to carry your kayak about 50 feet to the water. Could probably launch it from Hillsmere public beach also.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
By my estimation, Hillsmere is about 5 miles from TPL - quite a long paddle round trip. I'm up for it, but that would need to be a day trip. With great reports from the entire middle bay right now, I'd say it would be best to save yourself the effort and launch at a public ramp elsewhere - bay bridge, key bridge, etc.

Make sure you give a hollar when you're all set up Hook... I'm working on getting a group get-together going. One per month all year.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Well I've searched and searched on-line for a better launch site:

Here is where I launched:

It's about a 1.5 mile paddle to the light house from there. The park is limited access, but a launch is doable (though a pain) with two people I would think. I managed it by myself but don't see myself doing it again. Still I think getting a permit from quiet waters park and launching here is the best bet.

Next closest place by my calculation is Turkey Point Park, but that has a steep ($15) launch fee. Approximately 4.5 miles away looking at the map. Truxton Heights park looks about 5-6 miles, as does the beach at Hillsmere. The good news is that both of those are either very affordable or free. They are manageable paddles, depending on the type of kayak you have... but not exactly "evening trip" material.

Then again, I think the mid bay is full enough of fish right now that you don't need to get to TPL to do well.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I think I would suck it up and launch at the place pictured. If it would cut out the amount of paddling time than that is the place for me. I think I'd just carry my kayak down first and then go back and get the gear. On that particular day it didn't look like too much fun, plenty of wind in that picture.

Could you tell me how to get there? Does that place cost anything?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem with the place pictured is parking. There is none. (Maybe 1 or 2 spots, but I doubt that).

Getting there: From Eastbound US-50, take Aris T. Allen Blvd (first exit as you approach Annapolis). Follow it until the expressway ends and it turns into Forest Dr. Follow Forest Dr. a few miles (~3-4), it turns into Bay Ridge Road. Take a right on Arrundel by the Bay Rd. Follow ABTB Rd. until it splits: left continues as ABTB Rd, right is Thomas Point Rd. Thomas Point Road ends at the entrance to the park.

The park is free, but its pretty much pedestrian only. I think Josh got lucky with his nearby parking spot. A two person trip would simplify things, but you still have to find some place to stash the car/truck.

Anyone here know anyone that works or is affiliated with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation? They've got a nice beach and plenty of parking thats usually empty on the weekend. They've got a gate at their lot thats cardswipe activated, but I don't know if its kept locked. I would think they would be accomodating to people powered watercraft that are safe for the environment. Its a 2-3 mile paddle to the lighthouse itself, but there's plenty of fishable water between the beach and the lighthouse.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I agree the best thing to do is suck it up. Park access is not free, if I am not mistaken, but I think it is pretty nominal. There are parking facilities, though not many, once you get into the park (picnic pavilion, etc).

I did not go to the end of the point to launch... instead I parked my car just outside the park entrance in a vacant lot (totally illegally) and launched just inside the park gate.

Calling queit waters park is on my agenda to check out pricing. Once obtaining access rights from them, I think parking would not be a problem.

Here is a google map of the area that shows the parking right on the very tip of the point. I on the other hand parked right at the top Right of the map:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&sll=38.918485,-76.468363&sspn=0.048215,0.079823&q=thomas+point+rd,+MD&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=38.908392,-76.464329&spn=0.006028,0.009978

1 - 14 of 14 Posts