Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mark (fishlesswonder) and I had been talking for a few days to go out. He had been on his boat, appropriately named "the fishlesswonder" on Friday with no sucess. He called yesterday morning, we figured to give it a shot about 1:00.

PJ (perchjerk...Sean) got to the store as I was checking in a 43 1/2", 34#er for Sgt. Joe (DC MPD) that he had just caught on a white umbella & chute (which he had just bought from me about an hour before) just South of TPL.

As we started loading up, Andrew (Andrew886) showed up at the store. After a few minutes we shanghi'ed him and were off to the boat.

Since Andrew is relatively new to trolling for Rock, we figured he might be able to learn a few things. Little did we know....

On the way over to the boat, my van stalled twice.:wacko: Lesson #1...O.E.M. fuel filters should be changed more frequently than never in 13 years.

We load up the boat while the blower was running, checked the oil, etc. Go to fire her up....whr, whr, whr, click, click, click.:censored: Lesson #2...don't leave your switch in the "both" position while docked. I had my mechanic run my boat last week and fill it up, I guess he didn't reset my switch. With all the rain the bilge pump was probably working overtime. Was about to send Mark over to the Battery Warehouse to buy a new one when one of the guys at the dock said he had a "hotshot". We got her going.

We get out of the creek and into the South River. I started crankin' her up. 3000 RPMs...doing 10 knots, what the???? I should be doing about 21 kts. Wouldn't get up on plane. Started messing with everything...huh? Mark asks if the outdrive is all the way down, I said "should be". Hit the switch, as the outdrive lowered we picked up speed and got up on plane. I had forgot last week they pulled my boat to put some letters/graphics on it. When they dropped her back in they must have left the outdrive in the trailer position. Lesson #3...anytime, anyone touches your boat, check everything.

Got to the SR #2, birds everywhere. Of course we wanted a few big ones, we left the jiggin' stuff back at the shop.:censored: Made a futile attempt to toss a few rods out that I had set up for WWBs out short since we were in 12-15' of water. No takers. Lesson #4 always take along plan "B". Pulled them in and headed to the green/red SR can.

Started dropping the 8 rod spread about 2:00. Every 15-20 minutes someone annouced on the radio one in the box from 18-40". It took us an hour before when had a hit. Andrew grabs the rod and starts reeling it in. Hit a white daisy chain out 75'. It was taking drag, it had to be a good one. I had Mark move a rod to make a lane for the fish to come in. While Mark was over there, not known to me, he helps Andrew by tightening the drag......you guessed it......Snap!. :censored::censored::censored:All I heard was "dang that was a nice fish". I asked what happened they said the line just snapped. I said let me see that rod, I knew that should not have happened. The 30# off the rod it self had cleanly snapped, the swivel was gone along with the daisy chain. I asked "who messed with the drag?". Mark fessed up that he did because the fish was taking line. He had put his Sasquatch, G.I. Joe Kung Foo grips on the drag knob. We all know due to laws of Physics and Murphy's and such that 30# test will snap when you put 80#'s worth of drag on it. I asked how big the fish was since they both saw it about 10' behind the boat. Mark said "about as long as your daisy chain" (this can't be right, that puts it over 48"), the both finally agreed it was about 36". Lesson #5...touch my drags, I will kill you...no...I will torture you, then kill you:nono:

I re-rigged the rod, but could only find a chartruse daisy chain to put on it. We cruised around for another hour and a half marking plenty of fish in about 43' of water hanging between 20-30' down. The whole time I was mummblin' expletives. Had 2 hits & misses that was it. I guess the fish wanted white daisy chains, but since I didn't have another aboard we were SOL.

Started pulling the lines in about 4:30 as the wind and current picked up and after a few bow-washers. Got back to the dock and found my Nav lights weren't working.

I should have stayed in bed yesterday...one of them days.

But hopefully Andrew learned a lot about what NOT to do. He should be a better fisherman than I anytime soon.

Sorry for the long post.

Tight Lines,
Jim

P.S. If anyone catches a 3-4' Rockfish with about 5' of 30# line, a Sampo Coastlock and a black headed white dasiy chain with a 9" pearl shad and a 10/0 stinger hook in it's mouth, I would appreciate the return of my gear. Andrew would appreciate the return of the fish too, I'm sure.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Thanks for the post! That sounds a lot like many, many fishing trips I have had! If it can go wrong, it will go wrong!

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I think Murphy lives with us all. People laugh at me standing on my deck point to things and going throught a mental checklist but it works. Happy to see we are getting fish out front. See you this weekend as usual.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Quite a day you had there, Jim. - - But, hey - it was better than sitting in the shop all day with Sean :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Just one of them days. When it rains, it pours sometimes. A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
It was a good thing you went fishing that day. How else could you have relearned so many valuable lessons. I'm sorry the catching success wasn't better.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
PJ (perchjerk...Sean) got to the store as I was checking in a 43 1/2", 34#er for Sgt. Joe (DC MPD) that he had just caught on a white umbella & chute (which he had just bought from me about an hour before) just South of TPL.

Got to the SR #2, birds everywhere. Of course we wanted a few big ones, we left the jiggin' stuff back at the shop.:censored: Made a futile attempt to toss a few rods out that I had set up for WWBs out short since we were in 12-15' of water. No takers. Lesson #4 always take along plan "B". Pulled them in and headed to the green/red SR can.

P.S. If anyone catches a 3-4' Rockfish with about 5' of 30# line, a Sampo Coastlock and a black headed white dasiy chain with a 9" pearl shad and a 10/0 stinger hook in it's mouth, I would appreciate the return of my gear. Andrew would appreciate the return of the fish too, I'm sure.
I was at your shop at around 5:30 yesterday to pick up some BKD's. (Thanks Sean! :thumbup:) I heard all about that nice 43½ incher! I also heard about the lost daisy chain. :eek2:

It was good to hear that I don't necessarily need to go to Chesapeake Beach to get a crack at the big boys. :yes:

Jim, I didn't hear about your other misfortunes, but I'll make a point to rig up some of those BKD's and bring them along if the weather will ever cooperate. You'll get 'em next time I'm sure!

Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Too funny Jim. I thought those kind of things only happened to Sean. I guess he must be rubbing off on you.:eek2: I guess Mark (the other Mark) is still the "fishless" wonder. Hey BTW...I know a good tackle shop where you can replace that lost daisy chain:D.............Mark

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Great read Jim. I know how the mishaps can start to pile up once they get started. Glad to hear none of the stuff with the boat was serious (expensive:eek:). ...Don

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
I leave " drag touchers" on the nearest channel marker so they can think about what they did :D. Hurts losing a nice fish due to someone getting excited - but it happens.

Hope you get a keeper in the boat next trip.

Great to hear of some nice fish closer to home :thumbup:.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Jim, great read and could only been funnier if it was Sean (Mr. Diablo) that cranked down on the drag. I know what you are saying about mechanics not switching your batteries to off............and then having to replace em. Next time you'll load the boat with some slobs.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Damn Jim that report made my entire week (I been having one of them months full of one of them days in the midist of one of them years. I should have tried to tag along I sure could have made it worse

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Not so sure I wouldn't have given up at the van stalling LOL.

At least you seem to have a good attitude about it and definitley a knack for telling good stories. :thumbup: You'll get em next time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great rendition of our escapade yesterday Jim. As we all know S*** happens and had it not the story of our fishless journey would not be nearly as entertaining. Thanks again for taking me out, and next time I'll just have to start throwing jabs anyone starts attempting to adjust the drag

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out for you..but while you were having such a "bad" time, I was stuck in a windowless office staring at a computer screen. Can't feel that bad for you :rolleyes: Next time will be better. I never knew you were such a good story teller until you started posting on TidalFish. Hoping the winds die down to get out Friday through Sunday. Sunday is looking the best this far out, but who knows by the time it rolls around....give us a call if you and Liz and Jimmy want to head out with us.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Great just be out there. It's great to hear that we have so many quality fish up this way. In the last few years I have spent more time trailering to PLO than using my own ramp! Nice to fish out back for the big ones!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Too Funny

Jim

Dang gone that was a great report. Lots of lessons learned, which I greatly appreciate. I specially like the one about always checking everything on your boat after someone works on it...I learned that one the hard way this year.

"He had put his Sasquatch, G.I. Joe Kung Foo grips on the drag knob." Man, that has to be one of the funniest damn lines I've read all year. :hysterical:

I really appreciate you sharing the entire story with us.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts