Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eminent Brothers,
I've been thinking about some trailer guide-ons for driving my boat on my roller trailer. I've missed the center roller a few times when it was windy or the tide was running and and it wasn't pretty. Am I being a wussey or do guide-ons really help out ???

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had never owned a boat before and my trailer came with them.
Made loading the boat a no brainer even for a rookie like me.

Kevin

·
Registered
576 Posts
Although I have the baby brother of the Parker family, the guide ons make loading a breeze with a POS roller trailer. The POS roller trailer will be reborn as a real trailer with bunks within a month but the guides will still aid the recovery process.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I had a 20 ft Sea Preo that had those on the roller trailer and I launched and retrieved by my self all the time ... I would pull about half way up on power then ease off the power and the boat would self center and I'd power further up and hook on the winch cable, kill power and winch the last 1-2 ft it was a breeze with the boat centered

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
I ordered them on my trailer, guide poles and SS hardware were an extra $63 or so. Admittedly, I did it more for the SS hardware though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i have a 23' Aquasport WA that i load on a roller trailer. we dont have guides on it, and its a piece of cake. just power it up all the way to the chock. :thumbup:

im not sure how helpful the guides would be to be honest with you.

Mark.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I always thought that the guides didn't look very "Manly Man" so I didn't order them for my shiny new trailer and shiny new boat........:D

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Who's lookin'?

I always thought that the guides didn't look very "Manly Man" so I didn't order them for my shiny new trailer and shiny new boat........:D
Not all boat ramps are created equal- different slopes, currents, wind gusts- takes a lot of guess work out. Mine came with them installed, thought I wouldn't like "the look", but if they "help" once in a while, what's the harm? Bonus is that it makes it real easy to see what your unloaded trailer is doing while backing instead of dropping the tailgate.

And anyway, who's looking at the trailer when you look this good pulling into the ramp? Plus the boat looks good, too!

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,295 Posts
I put side rails on mine and I've never regretted it ......... with the bunker's it self centers and doesn't let you drift out with wind or current ........

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Roller trailers, by design, are supposed to be "self-centering". Some mod-v boat designs don't center well on roller trailers. If I was to personally consider side posts, it would be for a bunk trailer, or perhaps for a boat design/ramp conditions which don't allow for an easy centering.

I say "perhaps" because our combo is a roller trailer and a mod-v Parker. Trailer has a walking board all the way to rear of trailer. I operate winch and guide the boat onto trailer from that plank. Tides and winds do present somewhat of a challenge at times, but, in my estimate, not enough (for us) to require side posts. Also, the way we retrieve, I believe we would need to change our ways to eliminate undue pressure and resistance between the posts and the rub rail.

Just this observation. We see very few guide posts, if any at all, on trailers at the ramps we mostly launch from.

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
With a W/A and curtains in windy conditions and launching solo the poles are a big help when trying to get back on the trailer.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
With a W/A and curtains in windy conditions and launching solo the poles are a big help when trying to get back on the trailer.
Quite true Jer.....ours has 23' of glass length above the waterline, half of it cabin, windows, and curtains, and only 10" of fiberglass below the waterline. Not easy to maneuver under power into a ramp with wind and current, because with that little glass under water, the boat has a mind of its own, and "slides" all over the place. But we somehow manage to retrieve ok, w/o side posts, using a roller trailer with a centerline plank. Not discouraging anyone from those guide-ons (who might be going solo), only suggesting that these two seniors, me and the wife, manage well w/o 'em, and I believe I alone could as well.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eminent Brothers,
One problem with driving on to my roller trailer is that on a steep ramp, or even at sandy Point, the boat rolls backward as soon as I get off the throttle. Not a problem if I have someone to hook me up real fast, but; a real pain when I'm alone or with SWMBO. I have a WAC so I have the same problems on a windy day as the other guys with WAC's. But I guess the decision has already been made for me because the last thing I want is a non-Manly Man looking trailer.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
One problem with driving on to my roller trailer is that on a steep ramp, or even at sandy Point, the boat rolls backward as soon as I get off the throttle. Not a problem if I have someone to hook me up real fast, but; a real pain when I'm alone or with SWMBO. ..............
You can run into the same problem with bunks, especially with a clean slick bottom.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had guides post on mine starting last year, and I think they work great. Helps alot in windy conditions and strong side currents. I trailer a lot by myself a its much easier.
Just my 2 cents.
Dennis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts