Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

When I bought my new alum. boat trailer from Fast Load it came with a Dico actuator (6000 model 60) and a set of Tie Down disc brakes. From the time the boat got on it the brakes never worked right, they would heat up bad, grease allover the rims and when baking up to the ramp they would make noises. I called Fast Load and they told me to use a pick thru the fitting hole behind the calipers and "hit it with a hammer" but that did nada. I called Tie about the problem and they send me a free new set of brakes but that did nada too, I removed the calipers and checked just about everything alse more than a dozen times, nada. I did the "pick" thing behind the calipers (was told to do so by Tie) and called Dico on several occations and they sugested to do the "pick" thing also on the back side of the Dico actuator, after all this work the brakes were never to my satisfaction but I have lived with them with this problem.
It has been several years since and this problem is now getting worse than it was before so I'm thinking on getting a new Tie actuator this time and just maybe that will fix my problem for good, maybe.

IF you're now using the Tie actuator on disc brakes..how do you like them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Contact Portsmouth Trailer and get yourself a set of KODIAK brakes. You'll want the ventiated ones.

The ice pick/scratch awl punch a hole in the master cyclinder (on trailer) diaphram can be done incorrectly. I hope they told the right way which is to insert the pick into the cyclinder and push easily until you feel the diaphram compress and resistance is felt. Then a sharp jolt to the pick will puncture the diaphram.

BTW, I've talked to a couple of people who've had Tie Down and they dind't seem to be real happy. Hope this helps you out. Portsmouth Trailers phone number is 757-487-2934. No, I don
t work for Portsmouth Trailer; I just seem to get real good service there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts