Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left brake on the font axle brake is dragging and creating excessive heat. The trailer is manufactured by LoadRite and it has drum brakes. The other three brakes are working properly. I initially thought the problem was bad bearings, so I replaced the bearings and seal. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
I'll tell ya' what happens with drum brakes......After a couple years of the brake shoes being submersed in saltwater,the Metal part of the brake shoe starts to rust .The rust builds up BETWEEN the Shoe and the Brake LINING and starts to push it away from the metal shoe.This causes the Brake Shoes to contact the drum at ALL times,just like if you adjust the brakes TOO tight and creates enough heat to melt the Grease and than you lose the bearings.

I replace mine[brake shoes] every 2 -3 years.Take the drum off and take a real close look at the Lining to see if it is raising off the Shoe itself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brake problem has been fixed. The overheating problem occured because the brake shoe was not retracting. It turns out the brake cylinder's piston had travelled beyond its normal working range and became stuck in the braking position. I purchased a new, fuly loaded backing plate that included the brake cylinder, shoes, springs, retainer clips and adjuster. The mechanic told me to check the brake shoe adjustment from time to time to avoid future occurances. The cost of the fully loaded backing plate was about $83 and took about 1 hour to swap-out the backing plates and bleed the brakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts