Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just noticed that a coupler on my hydraulic line is broke (don't know how it broke, but it cracked) and I was wondering how hard/costly a repair this would be? This is on the hydraulic line that comes out the back of the brake actuator (picture below).

From my judgement, it looks as if I can snip this coupler off, get another, and crimp it on for a simple repair? If that's the case, where can I look for the part, would advance auto or pep boys carry it? Specialized trailer store?

If that^^ is not the case, and it is going to be more in depth, who does trailer work and can get it done for me? Thanks in advance, would like to have it repaired by the end of the weekend, if at all possible!

Mike

oh, ps. The actuator is a Tie Down Model 66.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
From the picture, it appears that the hose coupling degraded and broke. Those hoses are not usually repairable. I would call a trailer supply place and they probably have the hose as it is pretty common. After you reinstall it, you are going to have to bleed the brakes to get the air out of the lines. this can be a little challenging to do by your self, but it is possible.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know I would have to bleed the brakes, I was mainly wondering if I have to replace the entire hose, or just the coupling/connector at the end... Thanks for the heads up, I will call Dave's trailer this afternoon to see what they have to say...

Do you happen to know if they also do trailer inspections?

·
Registered
734 Posts
It's a little hard to tell from your picture, but I see a hex fitting for a wrench on the hose, then a piece in front of it. Are the 2 pieces threaded together, or is it all one piece? If it is 1 piece threaded into another, then the other side of the broken piece is what I see in the coupler. It might be just a fitting you need, and not the hose. Usually on a trailer coupler, there is a reducer fitting screwed into the back of it where the hose goes. Instead of a full size hole thru the fitting, it's a very small hole so the hydraulic fluid passes thru slowly, if not, the brakes would slam on, on the trailer, then release just as fast because there's no more pressure on the coupler. Your trailer would be banging back and forth, applying then releasing the brakes. The small reducer hole allows the brakes to come on slowly, and release slowly. If it's a fitting broken, and it's the one with the small hole thru it, make sure you replace it with the same. If it's just the hose, I'd think any automotive store might be able to help you.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
luckily you have a hose at the back of your coupler.
pull off the hose and visit Dave's...reinstall and bleed...should be pretty straightforward job.

mine broke a few years ago but it was a "hard" flared tubing...that was a PITA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts