Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or in this case NOT on the blink...and it turns out that the problem is with the wiring INSIDE my tow vehicle, a '98 Ford Explorer. It's only my right side directional that doesn't work, and the directional on the truck works just great. That little yellow wire goes someplace, but where?

Can anyone share any insights, (or share a recommendation for a more appropriate board to ask this question, I guess)? Thanks for reading this far. Spring is almost here!

Mac

·
Registered
861 Posts
Why do you think the wire is bad on your explorer? Did you check the wire at the trailer connector with a test light to see if you had 12 volts at that point? If so, and there wasn't any current there, trace the wire back, I would think it should go somewhere near the right brake light. If you didn't check the wire at the plug with a test light or meter - odds are it's still a trailer problem. 99.9% of the time it's a faulty ground, either at the trailer tongue or at the light itself.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree with the last post. It's usually the ground wire that is the problem. I screwed mine to the trailer and soldered on top of the wire and screw head, then covered it with electrical tape. good luck- Also- try wiring another light to your wires to see if it's the light assembly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have you checked the fuses in the explorer? Most new vehicles have separate fuses for the trailer now. It may be worth a quick look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I tracked the wire to the harness behind the brake light cluster on the explorer where a snap connector goes to the trailer hitch using a multimeter. There I found a 12v pulse for the one side but not the other. I stopped following the wires from there because I don't know where they go next (other than forward).

I hear you on the fuse block, but I could not find a mention in the owners manual of a seperate fuse for the towing lights. And wouldn't this case require separate fuses for individual components in the tow lights since the other directional and the running lights are operational? Could there be an additional fuse cluster for the tow lights in another location?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I drive a Chevy Avalanche and it has two fuse boxes one inside the cab and one under the hood. The one under the hood is where the trailer light fuses are located and there are separate left and right fuses for the trailer. This may or may not be your light probelm but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Does the vehicle turns signal work or is it just the turns signal on the trailer that's the problem?? I'm confussed -- But that's NOTHIN' new.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Grady. The vehicle lights all function fine. In fact, the shade-tree mechanic that lurks within me wants to run a jumper wire from the directional light on the truck to the directional on the trailer. So far I have resisted that impolse.[smile]

It's the fact that it is only one directional and only in the trailer circuit that really has me stumped. Other than an open or short in that one wire, I can't figure what it could be.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I don't think you say, but is this a new hook up? If so, the Explorer has a five wire system I think. It has amber turn signals and red brake lights. If this is a new hook up you'll need an adapter to go from the vehicle 5 wire system to the trailer's 4 wire system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, SandTiger. It's not a new system - it's worked fine in the past. Dang - just can't figure this one out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts