Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you trailer for a long distance is it ok to use cruise control? Even when you're in tow mode? I know it sounds dumb but that is always on the back of my mind with the slow tranny shift...fyi I have 2005 Chevy 4wd just don't want to mess the tranny up.

thanks for any input into this

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Why not? Cruise control does just that, control you speed. I do it when on long hauls. I have done this with a Chev 1500 and now with a Ford F-150. I do not use overdirive when doing so, per the recommendations in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My owners manual (Toyota) says to not tow in overdrive, and not tow w/cruise control. Probably best to consult a dealership for your make and model.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree with not towing in overdrive. After replacing the transmission, I never use overdrive when towing the boat.

Dave

·
Registered
438 Posts
I find that cruise control with Tow/Haul mode on cuases me to hunt for gears more, cuases worse gas mileage due to engine constantly rev'ing up and down. I find it best to speed down hills (relatively speaking) and ease up em. I use to tow my 6000# CC 500miles on a regular basis on I-85, find a nice trucker that doesnt mind me drafting and follow him.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 08 Duramax w/Allison trans and tow a 7000# to 8000# boat/trailer and do not do anything different when towing or not (Richmond to Va Beach). Straight and level, 65 mph @ 1700 rpm w/ cruise control. If your tranny is constantly shifting and trans is heating up (I have a guage) then I would use tow/haul mode. When in the hills or mountains, I use tow/haul mode but still use c/c on straight highway.

Frito

·
Registered
207 Posts
The bottom line is : ya gotta pay attention to what yer doin' and what yer motor is telling ya.
Towing my boat, I don't use cruise! I use OD when on flat , long hauls, ONLY.
I never used cruise control even in a big truck headin' to Shakey, and that's a right long haul!

·
Registered
294 Posts
frito - I'm on my third duramax. you might want to read your owners manual. You need to use tow haul for that weight for certain. It is not debatable, just fact. It doesn't just change rpm shift points and trans pressure shift points. It actually locks up your converter. If you don't know what that means go to your local transmission shop, buy them a cup of coffee and ask them a few questions and sit back and learn.... OR bolster up your checking account, get some spare checks to give your local transmission shop OR keep trading every couple of years so somebody else gets your ragged out junk.

It has nothing to do with mountains or flat surfaces (I live in richmond too) whether or not you should use it - it is all weight based. The diesel supplement that came with your truck covers this in detail.

·
Registered
60 Posts
flight risk- thanks for all your kind words. I have read my manual (Silverado and Diesel operaters manual) and have even re-read it after reading your kind words of wisdom. I cannot find what you are refering to on the operation of tow haul mode. I have discussed the operation of tow-haul mode with a Master mechanic at Western Branch Diesel (Allison Trans reps for this area) and he agreed with my operating procedures (constant shifting and monitoring the temperature). I will pursue this further and if you are right, I appreciate the information. (Do not want to pass my junk on)

Frito

·
Registered
294 Posts
answer

frito. you replied. right is right and wrong is wrong. My 2006 manual clearly stated that if your load is like over 3k lbs to engage the tow-haul mode, and ever since I always have. Now I have a 2010 model. I pulled it out and just read it and you are right, it does not state what I claimed so I stand corrected on the new manual. I know it was in the other 2006 manual so... hmmm.... anyways, I went to Alison's website and they recommend it for the same reasons I said and that the 2006 manual said it. Alisons website didn't put a specific weight number on it. But anyways, I was just trying to give you a good tip. It will help in Tow mode when you are trying to stop and it does keep the tranny cooler according to Alision. Regardless, at least you got a Duramax and an Alison... real men wear bowties (GM)!!! Keep'er between the ditches. later!
take care!

·
Registered
60 Posts
flight risk. thanks for your honesty and I think my previous duramax said the same thing. You did get me thinking and I will try using tow/haul mode in the future to see what the difference is. If we ever run into each other I will buy you a cup of coffee or a beer and we can discuss it.

Frito

1 - 13 of 13 Posts