Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after shelling out $1500 to put new stainless brakes on my trailer after the original drums would not pass delaware inspection i have a couple of decisions/questions to make/ask. you can have a trailer registered for 4000lbs or less and not have to worry about going through inspection. they were willing to let me do that at the motor vehicle department. of course i would be overweight with a 26' boat and a 9400lb rated trailer. but i am already overweight as it was only tagged for 6000lbs by the dealer. so my question that is looking for others opinions. is it really a big deal if i am overweight at 6000lbs versus 4000lbs. i have always kept my stuff in top notch shape so it isn't like i am going to let the brakes go soft. i am just looking to avoid the tow up to motor vehicle and then have to stomp on my brakes w/ the boat on the back. i have never slammed my brakes on like they wanted me to in the inspection lanes. what do you guys do about your registrations w/ boat that are over 4000 lbs. register for what they really weigh or not worry about it and go for the least expensive rating at 4000lbs so you can also avoid the inspection lane deal. giv eme some feedback guys as i know a bunch of you have boats my size or bigger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
okay here is some more info to help maybe. i stopped at the police scales just south of blackbird a couple years ago to see what my boat, trailer combo weighed. the guy was very accommodating and weighed my truck also. the boat on the trailer comes in around 9500lbs. that has been confirmed at 2 different scales. well the police guy at the scales never asks me how much my trailer is rated for but wants to know how much my truck is rated for. the truck is an f250 super cab. well i have the truck rated for 6500lbs as that was the shipping weight on the invoice from the dealer and the dealer told me that was the min i could register it for. they never asked how much the trailer was registered for. i am just thinking i could save some $$ by registering it for 4000lbs and only paying the $8-10 a year that cost versus the $38 a year i am paying now and am still underrated. i was thinking the only problem i might have is if i was involved in an accident and they thought the overrated weight was an issue. just hard to justify $60 a year for a boat trailer you use a dozen dozen and a half times a year.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Who would ever know what it weighed if you went with the 4,000? My trailer is rated for more than my boats weight but if I was asked I would have know idea what it weighed. DMV might tell you diferent when you try to reregester your boat but after that no body will probably ever bring it up. In Va we can purchase perminent tags which saves the hassel of dealing with DMV.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
The only thing I would be concerned with is if you had an accident that was your fault (God Forbid) and an investigation revealed the fact that you load exceeded the trailer capacity would your insurance pay off? Also the other party could sue for negligence. I think you're just leaving yourself wide open. Doesn't seem worth the risk for a few dollars. JMHO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys so far for the replies.

bryansfish, i am thinking like you are and go w/ the low weight to avoid all the inspection deals.

slipsinker, i don't think the insurance can deny a claim because you were underrated. if that was the case they would never pay a claim where someone did something illegal. ie speeding, red light, etc.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Matey, Bryansfish is dead on in what he says. You ever have an accident with injury or property damage and the insurance company looks into it then your in for one hell of a ride... Braking traffic laws is a hole different story my friend..

Just ask any lawyer !!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
[Q]fixit originally wrote:
Matey, Bryansfish is dead on in what he says. You ever have an accident with injury or property damage and the insurance company looks into it then your in for one hell of a ride... Braking traffic laws is a hole different story my friend..

Just ask any lawyer !!
[/Q]I did not bring up the insurance issue but I do happen to be an Insurance agent. I can only speak for VA as we are lic. by state and I think you said you live in MD.. In Va. your liability from your auto insurance carries over to what you are towing at the time of the accident. For example, your trailer comes unhitched and hits another veh. your auto liab. would pay for the damages to the third party you have hit. Your boat insurance would pay for damages to the boat and if listed under the boat policy the damages to you trailer. I don't think they could deny the claim for having a trailer underated for the size boat but a lawyer could (if they even found out) use that to show more negligence on your part. If I'm correct this is a trailer you are already using so it realy does not have anything to do with your original question.
I just re read your original post and at first I thought your trailer was already not the right size for your boat but you where only talking about how it was regestered. Still the above should be correct .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guy sfor the replies, i am listening to what you are saying, believe me the last thing i want is problems.

Bryansfish, yes it is already been in use for 5 years. i tagged it for 5 yrs when new and the dealer did it at 6000lbs. when time to renew i have to go through the lanes and show my brakes work on some machine you got to slam them on on. if i was rated at 4000lbs i could mail it in and it would be $6/yr. it is now $36/yr and to go to the weight i really need to not be over weight on the rating it would be close to $100/yr. was just trying to not spend a ton on registration fees but it might just be the best thing to do. i am in delaware for most of my towing.
thanks again for the replies as it always helps to hear how other people interpret different situations. a heck of a lot easier to hash it out here than in court for sure.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Affording an F250 and a rig weighing 9500lbs, makes it seem like you're simply dealing with the same thinking we all have about those "non-tax" taxes, and how to "get around it".
[grin]

Go with what's legal. If anything, once you're over the hump of doing so the first time, you'll be able to stop thinking about any possible ramifications.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I cannot believe this post. You're opening yourself up for a fun ride if you are in an accident. You'll also get tagged with a ticket if you get pulled over.

The GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is what you need to be concerned with once the truck is registered for the correct weight class. GCWR is the weight of the truck AND the boat trailer. Watch out for public scales or portable scales. Exceed the limits and you're in for a nice ticket.

Back in the 70s I was 2230 pounds overweight on gross weight. It cost me not quite $100 in fines. Now jump ahead 30 years and do the math.

I also have an F250, but the boat and trailer only weigh in about 6,500 pounds. I have my truck registered for 7,500 pounds with personalized plates. I costs me $25 for the plates each year and I forget how much for the registration.

It seems funny that one could afford a truck and a boat like you have and yet are looking to skimp on a few dollars a year. Probably like the rest of us, you go out in the boat and think nothing of running all over the place looking for fish and using who knows how much gas, but are looking to save what amounts to a few dollars a month (when spread over a year) on a registration.

Why would you concern yourself with such a petty cash item???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Santiger, you and a few other shave put it into perspective from a different angle. sometimes that is what you need. you are correct about the fishing part. i would tink nothing of running to the dog or poormans if that was where the bite was. looks like i am going to just go back to motorvehicle and change the trailer weight to 10000lbs. i already have my truck at 7500lbs like you do. that is why i put the opinion part in the title to see how others looked at it. thanks for the replies.
Barry

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Accident is the key here - I had one last October when someone pulled out of parking and hit my trailer. Luckily it wasn't my fault but I got my stuff legal in a hurry. I could have been screwed just by motor vehicle admin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.