Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any tricks to getting your trailer registered? The previous owner can't provide info for the original sale or registration from the state. Any thing will help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good but do I apply in VA or the state that I think it was previously registered? Well it could have been two different states.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can register the trailor as homemade. A friend of mine went to fast tags with his used trailor from Florida which had no vin# and got tags for it as a homemade trailor. He said it was a quick and easy process.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can register the trailor as homemade. A friend of mine went to fast tags with his used trailor from Florida which had no vin# and got tags for it as a homemade trailor. He said it was a quick and easy process.
I also registered an old trailer with no title as homemade. Part of the trailer had been cut away and rebuilt. There was no VIN. I just had to get a state police officer come out and make sure the new VIN issued was attached properly. Make sure there is no old VIN on the trailer if you go the homemade route.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main issue is that the boat and trailer were bought together but the trailer was never registered because the boat was stored on a dock and never trailered. The previous owner no longer has the original sale documentation and there are no state records due to no registration. The DMV is telling me that I need some proof that it was the previous owners to sell to me since it has a VIN. The previous state does not issue titles for trailers just registrations. It is like a never ending circle. I guess the only thing I can do now is to go back to the original dealer or manufactuer to see if they have paperwork.

·
Registered
253 Posts
A bill of sale from the previous owner with associated VIN should do it. If not, grind off the VIN, apply for a homemade. I have done that before. Homemade - you have to call state police and they will dispatch an officer to your house to look at it. he'll hand ya a metal tag that has to be put on the tongue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts