Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have not been on here much lately, so not sure if I am retreading a topic. I got my trailer tag renewal in the mail today. $102. Looks like its doubled from last year. Has the MVA gone to 2 year renewals with the trailers??

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Mark--
Tag it in Maine. Several posts have been on here and several friends have done so legally for a LOT less money. I plan to do it soon as well.
STAAB Agency is one place that others have recommended.
--Dave

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Thank your EX-Comptroller ( Willie Don ) and his cohort EX-Gov (EHrlich ) they didn't want to raise taxes............so, they raised most of the tolls (Except bay bridge, of course )
How else could they generate a Billion dollars in excess....hahaha, just in time for O'Malley to say he spent it or couldn't fine it..hahaha !

All of the motor vehicle renewal rates were increased, with the rec vehicles gettin hit the hardest, mine is $127.00 ir was $25.00.
Also part of the increase in fuel prices, that we are enjoying is due in part to the state tax on fuel inreasing.
This is why I registered my boat in Delaware 3-yrs. ago when I bought it, shoulda done the trailer too.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hey, do asearch on TF for "Maine Tags".

I registered mine for 5 years at a cost of 90 dollars!

Had a company up there called mtb trailers or something like that.

Had my tags in 5 days.

Screw Maryland and the new dems with their gun control issues and tax raising schemes.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
trailer tag

Here it is,,just got mine last month,,,$90 for a 5 year tag,,got my new tags in less than 10 days, no hasle at all

Maryland wanted $108 for a 2 year tag

MBI trailers
http://www.mbi-trailers.com/register/

from the annotated code of maryland
(f) Same - Certain trailers and semitrailers towed by registered vehicles.- A trailer or semitrailer operated in intrastate service need not be registered in this State if:
(1) It is registered in another state;

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Just an FYI for all those Md residents out there who want to "SCREW MARYLAND" and register your trailers in Maine. Just make sure you familiarize yourself with Article 13 Section 402 of the Maryland Transportation Article. It you aren't compliant and you violate the Provisions it's not just a traffic charge, it's a Misdemeanor....not to mention the compounding fines. I'm not telling you not to do it, just make sure you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Rich,

You may want to post all of that section for everyone because that's only part.

Here is all of section "F". Pay particular note to (3). If you have 1 "tow vehicle" Registered in Md you also need to have 1 of your trailers Registered in Md.
In order to claim this "exemption" the towing vehicle must be registered in MD, so you better have at least 2 trailers, one of which is registered in Md.

(f) A trailer or semitrailer operated in intrastate service need not be registered in this State if:

(1) It is registered in another state;

(2) The truck tractor or other vehicle that is towing it is registered in this State; and

(3) The registered owner of the truck tractor or other towing vehicle has at least one trailer or semitrailer registered in this State for each truck tractor also registered in this State.

Also take note of the last section(i)

(i) A person who drives or attempts to drive a vehicle on any highway in this State in violation of any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
(3) The registered owner of the truck tractor or other towing vehicle has at least one trailer or semitrailer registered in this State for each truck tractor also registered in this State.
This is the same misinterpretation of tractor trailer regulations that the inspection guy tried to pull on me with my surge brakes on the trailer.

This go through this line by line:

(1) It is registered in another state; (qualifies)

(2) The truck tractor or other vehicle that is towing it is registered in this State; and

(Qualifies)

(3) Has at least one trailer or semi trailer registered in this State for each truck tractor also registered in this State

So who pulls their boat trailer with a truck tractor?

0 truck tractors = 0 trailers registrations required. (qualifies)

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
C-Hawk & Seahunter
Thanks for the replies--good info

Thill- I have an Va (Accomac Co.) address also that I keep one of my boats and was considering a Va permanent registration for it.
it is a tandem trailer with brakes.
but my understanding is that trailers must undergo a yearly inspection in Va. & this is the reason that I did not tag in Va. trailer is in good shape , but I just don't want the hassle of inspections
and also for personal property tax regulations.
am I understanding this correctly or are there some other rules?

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,148 Posts
Here's my question:

So, if a MD resident has a tow vehicle titled and registered in MD and has one or more trailers also titled and registered in MD, is it then LEGAL under MD law to register an additional MD titled trailer in the state of ME?

The registration service personnel in ME say it's not a problem, but is it in violation of MD law to circumvent the vehicle inspection process and also withhold applicable vehicle registration taxes from MD?

What say you?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Seahunter,

Let me get this right. You want the portion of the law which was written with the intent to cover Commercial Tractor Trailer where the company does business in several states, and has vehicles registered in both states to apply to you where it reads "operated in intrastate service". But on the other hand you don't want the law to cover you because your "other towing vehicle" is not a "truck tractor"?

BTW- The Federal regulation with the Surge brake issue DID apply to "non-commercial" trailers until, I believe, about 2004 when new Legislation was introduced.

It is up to the individual owner, what he/she does. It would also, ultimately, be up to a judge (or Jury if the possible penalty is more the 60 days in jail) to decide should someone be charged with violating the article whether or not they are found guilty.

Just make sure you have a good answer (and documented proof) when the Judge asks you the question:

"Sir, why is your trailer registered in Maine and not Md? How many times have you taken your trailer to Maine?"

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
BigWill (and others)

Here are some of those definitions:

"Boat trailer" means a vehicle that is:
(1) Designed and constructed to transport a boat used for recreational purposes; and
(2) Of a size and weight that does not require a special highway movement permit when towed by a motor vehicle.

"Semitrailer" means, except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a vehicle that:
(1) Has no motive power;
(2) Is designed to carry people or property and to be towed by a motor vehicle; and
(3) Is constructed so that some of its weight and load rests on or is carried by another vehicle.
(b) "Semitrailer" does not include a pole trailer.

"Trailer" means, except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a vehicle that:
(1) Has no motive power;
(2) Is designed to carry people or property and to be towed by a motor vehicle; and
(3) Is constructed so that no part of its weight rests on the towing vehicle.
(b) "Trailer" does not include a pole trailer.

"Truck" means a motor vehicle, except a multipurpose passenger vehicle, that is designed, used, or maintained primarily to carry property.

"Truck tractor" means the noncargo carrying power unit that operates in combination with a semitrailer or trailer, except that a truck tractor and semitrailer engaged in the transportation of automobiles or boats may transport motor vehicles or boats on part of the power unit.

With these definitions your "boat trailer" is a "boat trailer" and not a "trailer" and more then likely would not even be considered for any Exemption, unless you are carrying the boat for commercial purposes and not recreational purposes. Commercial guys would then be OK as long as the "Commerce" is "Intrastate". ie- Holding a commercial license from another state, not just a Md Tidal Fish License.

Like the point of my original reply -Some people (I would guess very few on this board) can actually meet the requirements. Before you go following everyone else I would be certain. If you have any concerns send an email to the Md MVA. See what they respond back with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts