Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a new set of trailer tires, boat only a 20 footer , had west lake tires on it with a e rating , which is 2860 per tire, had local camper place recommend them,had a blow out, figured I should replace booth tires, need comments on what tire brand to buy, I do not need the very very best of tire , because they are all made in chinia, looking for a good brand , they are 15 inch tires ,thanks for the help

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm using Maxxis tires. I get them at Discount Tire Direct. Heavier (more plies), don't cost any more than Goodyear Marathons, and have provided both my son and I with longer tire life. I've gone thru some tires over the years, but these are providing us with great service and lifespan like no others. Very satisfied if you can't tell.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I've not heard of Maxxis....but I've switched to Carlilse Radials....I'm pretty sure they are made in USA...

After having problems with the Chinese Marathons, I've switched to these and have had zero problems. Shop around and you can find them @ $110.00.... :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Was a Marathon fan until they became Chinese and quality waned, now all 6 are Carlisle(probably come from same plant). So far so good. Other trailer has had Carlisle for at least 6 years with limited use, but still look good. Fingers stay crossed.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the only Carlisle tires being mfg in the US is their "Trail USA", which is a bias ply tire. All other Carlisle tires are imports. Link listed below.....FWIW, I live 20 miles from Carlisle and do remember them from back in their hay-day. Used to be a great place to work and they did produce a good product...don't know about the quality of the tires they're putting out these days, either here or over there.

http://www.carlisletirestore.com/store/usatrl.htm

·
Registered
53 Posts
Because special trailer tires ( the ones with ST at the begining ), are not expected to carry passengers, they are designed, constructed to a lesser standard than light truck ( LT ), and passenger ( P ) tires.
Sure, ST tires have a higher weight rating, but that is done at the expense of their speed rating ( 65 mph tops ).

If you can not find a LT tire to carry the weight of your boat/trailer combo, then I suggest Maxxis special trailer tires ( made in Taiwan ). They have a well deserved reputation for quality, among RV campers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts