Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a class 3 hitch on a new vehicle and can't get the tongue of my single axle trailer perfectly level.

The ball mount has a 2" drop / 1" rise. When I hook up using the 1" rise the tongue sits high, just slightly off "dead center" bubble. When using the 2" drop it sits low, just slightly off "dead center" bubble. (boat still sits lower at the transom than at bow)

I know we're cutting hairs, but which scenario would be the lessor of the two evils?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
if its that close, i wouldnt worry either way.... single axle it doesnt matter nearly as much if its up or down a little. the only issue is if one or the other affects your tongue weight. i think you have a lighter aluminum boat, so it shouldnt be much either way. as long as your tow vehicle is capable.

i would rather it be down than up. less chance for something bad to happen. but again only if your vehicle can handle the wt.

double axle, yep, needs to be level as possible.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
FWIW Mike. When I picked up my jet boat on Friday the trailer tongue was slightly high. I asked JC who sells lots of these single axle trailers if I should change it. He said no that he likes them slightly high. I did not question why but it tows really well. Do not think a slight upward or downward angle makes any difference on a single axle trailer.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep...my 16.5' aluminum deep v boat, motor, trailer, full tank of gas, and loaded with gear weighs around 2200#....current TW is 200# when level.

My vehicle, hitch, ball mount, etc are all rated for, at least, 5000# towing and 500# TW. So, I am well beneath those numbers.

I've taken a few short test runs around town hooked up both ways, and didn't notice much, if any, difference. But, I have yet to make the 80 mile tow south to the flats. 40 miles of the trip is at highway speeds and the other 40 miles is over hill & dale. Not the easiest of routes...but is the quickest.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always prefer a slight tongue high, even on my heavy, tandem axle equipment trailers. IMO pulls better, and one of the worst problems you can encounter trailering is those occasional situations where you get high centered between tow vehicle and trailer. Envision some of the RR crossings into river boat ramps.

Plus you can typically adjust some trailer load weight forward to compensate if you really need to. Slightly tongue heavy is way safer than trailering too light on the tongue weight.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW Mike. When I picked up my jet boat on Friday the trailer tongue was slightly high. I asked JC who sells lots of these single axle trailers if I should change it. He said no that he likes them slightly high. I did not question why but it tows really well. Do not think a slight upward or downward angle makes any difference on a single axle trailer.
Bill....JC also set up my boat / trailer based on TW, when level. I was lucky in that my old set-up just happened to be level. My new vehicle / hitch sits just a tad higher, making it impossible to be "perfectly" level with any ball mount, rise / drop combination. It's close, high or low...just not "perfect" :))

Bob...Thanks for you're input as well. By the way, Raystown ice is very thin but still not boatable....soon, very soon.

·
Registered
713 Posts
On a single axel trailer, being high or low won't affect the tongue weight. The difference will be in the aerodynamics. That said, I doubt being an inch high or low would make a noticeable difference.

Chuck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bob...Thanks for you're input as well. By the way, Raystown ice is very thin but still not boatable....soon, very soon.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like you have a local intel source??

If so, I'd greatly appreciate a heads up when you hear the word "go". I NEED to get out somewhere. Soon. Don't even care if it's just for a boat ride.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info! Sounds like you have a local intel source??

If so, I'd greatly appreciate a heads up when you hear the word "go". I NEED to get out somewhere. Soon. Don't even care if it's just for a boat ride.
Bob...I saw your Raystown post on another forum. My father in law has a beautiful, 100 acre, "Gentleman's Farm" maybe 5 miles from the resort and is friendly with some of the locals. I'll be seeing him over the weekend and ask... s/b Crappie time very soon.
Will send you a PM next week.

Thanks again everyone for the great input :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Have you tried a ball with a higher or lower rise, depending on the rise of your current ball? I've been out of that market for a while, but I believe trailer balls come in 0", 1"' and 2" rises. Possibly allowing you to level things out by mounting draw bar at the 2" drop, and using a ball with a higher rise than the one you currently have. Or, if your ball has a higher rise, get one with a lower rise and mount to draw bar on the 1" rise side. Just a thought.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,148 Posts
Mike, towing wise it probably doesn't matter much whichever way you rig it, however, if it were my rig I would place the entire rig on a perfectly level surface and measure from the front of the lower unit bullet nose or skeg (whichever is lowest) to the ground to determine which of the two distances you are comfortable with. Speed bumps and potholes could be a factor if the motor is tilted close to the ground. I'd give mine the most clearance. Just saying...........

- - - Updated - - -

A picture would be nice. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BigWillJ.....Good thought but I've already exhausted most all my options. I experimented all day yesterday switching out balls & mounts of various configurations and could not come up with a combination that leveled my trailer tongue to dead center bubble, close but not quite.

Jerry....I keep my motor tilted up pretty high and use a support post when in tow...but I do understand exactly what you're saying...makes sense. As far as photos go, well, let's just say I am rather computer un-savvy.

After all this great input... I've had an epiphany....I'll start with the tongue slightly low and if it doesn't pull comfortably, I can always switch it at the launch for the ride home.

Thanks again to all :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
I'll bet 90% of people trailering just eye ball it - that's if they even bother. Most just use hitch they always have. I've seen many sitting very low and a few sitting high.

Heck - tough enough to get folks to X the safety chains - much less get trailer level.

IMHO - tongue weight is much more important then an inch high / low. You might add truck fuel or extra people and sit little bit lower or run low on truck fuel and be alone and sit kiss higher.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update...issue has been remedied. Hopefully this info may help others as well.

As suggested earlier (didn't know this) different manufacturers may have different specs on the hitch ball itself despite having the same carrying capacity.

I took my Brand R 2" hitch ball to a local big box automotive store and compared it to other brands. Low and behold Brand C was almost 1/2" taller. Using the taller ball raised the trailer tongue just enough to put in on dead center bubble. The perfectionist in me has been satisfied and all is well once more.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
One advantage to slightly high is if you take a long trip, like a week in Canada, and load down the tow vehicle with extra gear and weight you have a little leeway before the tongue is slanted down.

If someone in PA wants a nice place to just run their boat, Blue Marsh Lake is totally ice free and has several free, at this time of year, launches. I did some break-in hours there on Tuesday and it was perfect for that. Saw two fishermen but do not know if they caught anything. There was some excitement as the police and EMT's took a 40 year old out on a litter. They thought he expired but brought him "back to life" with that new Heroin antidote Naloxone. He was not a boater.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts