Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put a new trailer winch on last year and the first time i went to haul the boat up the cable was not on tight enough and it started to free spin at the ramp. with other boats waiting i managed to get the cable to bight a couple of wraps down on itself and this caused some bird caging on my new cable. so now before i drop the boat in i want to replace it with one of the heavy duty straps. are all winches capable of using straps and if so how do you attach them. the boat is 21' privateer and the winch is wide enough to hold the strap, but the straps i am seeing have a loop on the end to attach them. do you have to run a bolt through them? thanks for your help.

derick

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi ,This is bruce from Richmond Virginia. I also have a 21 Privateer and use a heavy strap in place of a cable .I works great and I love it.
The only problem I had was the hook that came on the end of the strap always tried to hang up on the bow stop as it came thru.
I cured that by putting a split chain link on the boat eye, that turned the hook 90 degrees when it came thru the bow stop and did not try to hook the side rails.

How long have you had the Privateer and how do you like it?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
privateer

i have had mine for about a year now and i love it. it is the cuddy cabin model. i have a 175 evinrude on the back and it cruises about 25 i recently bought a new enclosure for my hard top and so far it has been one of the best trot lining boats and fishing boats i have owned. keeps me dry and handles well. so when you put the strap on the winch what did you use to attatch it to the winch?

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
bolted directly to the spindle.With the cabin on the front and weight forward does it pound a bit in rough water?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not like you would think.. it actually handles pretty well though i could say if it didnt have the protection and the console was up forward it would be a wet boat in rough seas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts