Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished swapping out my old pain in the a$$ drum brakes for a set of Kodiak discs.

I have completed the installation of the brakes but can't figure out how to wire the new plug.

My old plug had the following wires:

white
yellow
brown
2 green (one was part of a double-wire with the brown)

The new plug (7 prong) has a place in the center for the new brake solenoid wire
white
brown
black
1 green
red
blue

Bottom line is I can't figure out where to put the second green wire and the yellow wire.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
159 Posts
You need to get the schematic of the 7 pole plug your using and compare it to the other plug. Any trailer or mobile home store can straiten this out for you.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ejohn,

I talked with Portsmouth Trailer Sales on Monday and I'm pretty sure I know what to do now.

When I posted on Sunday they were closed and I was trying to finish up.

Can't wait to road test the new Kodiak Disc's

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
[Q]J Lavender originally wrote:
Can't wait to road test the new Kodiak Disc's
[/Q]
I put the Kodiak disc brakes on my trailer and realy like them a lot. Won't go back to drums.

Now, I will say that when I had the drums and hit the brakes hard on my old pickup truck I could lock the wheels up with the drum brakes (when they were new). I got a new heavy duty pickup truck with four wheel ABS disc brakes and then changed the brakes on my trailer. I cannot lock the brakes up on my trailer with the disc brakes.

It might be because of the ABS on the truck, but it might be for another reason, too. Just thought I'd mention it so if you notice that you'll know it's not you. Have a friend that just did the same as I did with his trailer and he also has a heavy duty pickup with ABS and he can no longer lock the brakes up either. I find it somewhat interesting......... but it does stop well.

Kodiak brakes are really nice and have perfromed well for me.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up Sandtiger. I successfully completed the wiring last night so I'm ready to roll.

One of the problems with the drum brakes was that after sitting awhile, they would lock up. I had to replace one tire because of a flat spot all the way down to the cord. The other side is still o.k. although that tire has a spot that looks like a cheese shredder got a hold of it.[grin]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
[Q]J Lavender originally wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Sandtiger. I successfully completed the wiring last night so I'm ready to roll.

One of the problems with the drum brakes was that after sitting awhile, they would lock up. I had to replace one tire because of a flat spot all the way down to the cord. The other side is still o.k. although that tire has a spot that looks like a cheese shredder got a hold of it.[grin]

[/Q]
Joe,

That's exactly one reason I took the plunge and went with the discs. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Hope it all works out for you. Just get out by yourself someplace where you can get to about 55 mph and try to stop relatively fast........... but don't jack knife the trailer, that way you'll know what to expect.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts