Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping for some recommendations on which style boat I should look at for fishing the bay. I'm mainly a LTJ type of guy and will be trailering the boat from Lancaster, PA. I usually fish the flats and the eastern shore of VA in the spring and then the bay bridge in the summer/fall. I'm currently fishing out of a walleye boat and want to upgrade to a boat made for saltwater but am completely torn between going with a big bay boat or a 22-23 ft center console.

Of the boats I've looked at so far I've really liked the Sea Hunts. Problem is they offer a nice bay boat and a nice center console which is making the decision really hard. Any thoughts / recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a Hydra-Sport 23' center console.I trailer it by myself quite often and have no problem launching it or recovering it by myself. It is great on the bay and have even used it a little in the ocean.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I like the 23 CC from Keywest. It's small enough to handle by one person, doesn't draft much, has enough deadrise for when the weather gets bad and has a really decent sized fuel tank for offshore runs.

BTW, If you plan on strictly fishing the bay, the Seahunt would probably be better. I think it'll float in a few inches less then the Keywest.

- Dae

·
Registered
397 Posts
Pathfinder Bay Boats. Most versatile boat you can have on the Bay. I have the 2200 and can go anywhere. Almost all boat manufactures make a Bayboat, but the Pathfinder's fit and finish is excellent.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 06 Robalo R220/F250 and love it. Solid boat perfect fit and finish BUT pricey. Also has the nicest canvas package I've seen so far on a CC if that is important to you. Easy trailering (with the right vehicle) easy on and off. I think 22-23 range are a good size and still be able to get dockage away from home, Canada etc. Bought mine at Jackson Marine, Northeast... All boats are trade offs so try to figure out which features are most important to you, and go from there. P.S. Robalo also makes a Duel console and Jackson allowed me to sea trial both while shopping.(that's half the fun) Good Luck, Paul

www.robalo.com

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother
A trailerable 23 footer for LTJ and Flats fishing........surely you jest. A lot of the guides are running a Parker 21SE or 23SE with a 4 cycle. I know Tri-State Marine has a used Parker23SE for sale that was Richie Gaines old guide boat.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Why limit yourself to just the bay get a Regulator. I have a 23 foot Regulator and fish the Susky flats one day and head down to NC and fish the gulf stream the next. 184 gallons of fuel, a fish box that can hold a dozen 40 lb YFT and a few hundred pounds of ice and haul construction that will be kind to your spine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Shaggy

I also live in Lanc.Pa and have a home on eastern shore of Va ,Onancock

I fish flats,upper bay and easter shore of Va as well as make it down to Harkers

Opinions on boats are varied as you can tell

First you really need to be honest with yourself as to what type of fishing you do mostly ie. flyn spin cast, trolling,live bait or a variety of all types
Send me a b mail and we can try to connect and discuss

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shaggy, I have a Proline 22 CC Sport. It is powered by a 200 Merc. I use it on the Flats, trolling in the spring around Bloody Point, Indian River Inlet out to B bouy, and back to the NE River in the fall. It is the right size for me and my son. I do launch quite a bit by myself and have found the side guides (white pvc pipe) for the trailer to be a huge benefit. Good luck with you search. Then have fun.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
With boats costing so much these days-take your time and shop everything out there.We spent almost 2 yrs looking (and saving $$).When you narrow the choices down to 2-3/ try to find someone who owns the boat you like and ask to fish for the day.A sea trail is nice but it takes more then 1-2 hours to find out the bad things on a boat.Most likely someone on the board has the boat (s) you are looking at.Good luck and remember-no such thing as the perfect boat.They all have good/bad points. Skip

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
check out the 23 May-craft rigged by a guide for sale here. The price is a steal with all the options and I am sure the motor has tons of warranty left.

http://www.tidalfish.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/94/cat/4

May-crafts are tough 3 piece commercial grade hulls with shallow transom deadrises for shallow draft, efficiency and stability. They also have a sharp entry for doing the dirty work in the the slop. The boat also has a head in the console. The 23 May-craft is the formerly well -23 sea-0x mold

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Since you mentioned Sea Hunt, I'll vote in favor of the 23 Triton. I have one and I fish the flats to OI. It's easey to handle yourshelf, but big enough to handle the ocean. It's no Regulator, but it's no bay boat either, it will get you most places alot of the time. If I were just a bluewater guy, I'd have the Regulator and if I were just a shollow water guy, I'd have the bay boat, but the Sea Hunt works great for me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check out this Boat!

This is the West/Rhode River Keepers Boat! Judge 22 CC

judgeyachts.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Boat recommendation

If you would like a good all purpose type boat that is sound in most conditions, I am a firm believer in walkaround models. They are usually a dry running boat in most seas and offer a place to catch a few winks if you need to. Some have ammenities for water and food storage. Most have a head in them also. You mentioned Sea Hunt, but I am not familiar w/ their models except the center consoles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 23 Sea HUnt Triton that I have been very happy with. I also do mostly LTJ but its plenty big to troll with the big boys when the weather gets snotty. This winter I added an electric trolling motor which really lets me get into the skinny water.

I fish all year and would be happy to take you out if you want to give it a serous sea trial. Send me a b-mail.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts