Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the OI FC webcam it looks like a few trailered boats headed out of OI today (3/26). Interested in the reports and conditions. Hope everyone stays save. Hate sitting it out, but I know once I'm out there it's hard to get me to come back in and with that NE wind, I think I made the right call. Hopefully the winds will be delayed and everyone makes it back in safe with fish caught.

Diamond Shoals Now:

Wind Direction (WDIR): NNE ( 20 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 21.4 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 23.3 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 4.9 ft

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
JMHO, but those are not conditions for trailerable boats. Perhaps "fishable" but certainly not "fun"...

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Just got back from a charter and there were some pretty small boats out today. The morning wasn't too bad, but by noon it was right sporty...

There were also some very nice fish caught... Saw a couple of small boats hooked up, hope they made it worth their while...

BTW: I HATE NE WIND!!!!

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Just got back from a charter and there were some pretty small boats out today. The morning wasn't too bad, but by noon it was right sporty...

There were also some very nice fish caught... Saw a couple of small boats hooked up, hope they made it worth their while...

what line did you fish @ l.

·
Registered
363 Posts
yea, there were a few of us small boats out there today...but we pretty much all caught fish....ours was a 234 pounder that we boated....great day on the water....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went out with the crowd at 5:30... the charter boats all went out like a parade and helped us newbies get out beyond the Bonner bridge and head southeast to the Point and a bit beyond. We were in my 23' World Cat... Only challenge getting out of the inlet was hitting a rather large wave about 50 yard east of the bridge.. The cat sky'ed a bit and settled right back down and proceeded out. We got to the point with the rest of the boats around or 8:30... Saw a huge whale just hanging about, some weed lines, floating flotsam that looked like it would hold mahi, and an incredible temperature change. Inshore temps were about 42, stayed 42-45 until about a 1/2 mile from the drop off then shot up to 70 or 71 degrees. We were lines out (4-5) and worked it pretty hard. Didn't see any hookups but were working hard to keep everybody in the boat, ballyhoo swimming in the water and watching the fish finder. We trolled out to the deeper water hoping for some BFT hits.... and hit some truly big waves and rolers... about 6-8' regular, with an occasional 8-10'.. Fun stuff. One of my team was upfront and didn't see one coming over the bow (which is very rare for that boat) and got soaked.. which caused some serious hypothermia concerns even though he was dressed like a New England fisherman. We moved around a bit to get back into some calmer water, and after 2 hours of trolling we decided to move inshore to the shallower water. No luck... and we opted to bail as the water and skies started to get pretty nasty..

Run back took about 4 1/2 - 5 hours with very rough conditions... we got back in, negotiated the inlet (which was easy in comparison to the offshore tempest)..and got the boat loaded on the trailer around 2PM. The weather guys predicted 2-4 in the AM, with 3-5 in the late afternoon. Per my notes, it turned much earlier than that (around 11 AM) and the bigger waves and messy chop was quite a bit hirer than that. I would agree that the day was not a small boat day.. and my boat will go through more than my 54 yr old body will put up with..

If you managed to catch BFT, congrats! Just hope that everybody got back safely.... In retrospect, we should have gone north off of Kill Devil Hills for the striper... much closer and less stress on the crew.. BTW, thanks again to the OI charter fleet for leading the way out of the marina and out the inlet. Everybody played well and was very patient staging for the next turn and the surf zone.. I have made about 30 passages out the HI and jave learned to not proceed through the surf zone with a charter boat within a 1/2 mile of my boat, especially in the afternoon.. Gets kind of crazy when a 60' sportfisher elects to barrel through the inlet when one is working their own way through it.

There is always next time... tog at the 2nd island perhaps... come on summer and calmer waters!

Roger
23' WorldCat - Eureka

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I went out with the crowd at 5:30... the charter boats all went out like a parade and helped us newbies get out beyond the Bonner bridge and head southeast to the Point and a bit beyond. We were in my 23' World Cat... Only challenge getting out of the inlet was hitting a rather large wave about 50 yard east of the bridge.. The cat sky'ed a bit and settled right back down and proceeded out. We got to the point with the rest of the boats around or 8:30... Saw a huge whale just hanging about, some weed lines, floating flotsam that looked like it would hold mahi, and an incredible temperature change. Inshore temps were about 42, stayed 42-45 until about a 1/2 mile from the drop off then shot up to 70 or 71 degrees. We were lines out (4-5) and worked it pretty hard. Didn't see any hookups but were working hard to keep everybody in the boat, ballyhoo swimming in the water and watching the fish finder. We trolled out to the deeper water hoping for some BFT hits.... and hit some truly big waves and rolers... about 6-8' regular, with an occasional 8-10'.. Fun stuff. One of my team was upfront and didn't see one coming over the bow (which is very rare for that boat) and got soaked.. which caused some serious hypothermia concerns even though he was dressed like a New England fisherman. We moved around a bit to get back into some calmer water, and after 2 hours of trolling we decided to move inshore to the shallower water. No luck... and we opted to bail as the water and skies started to get pretty nasty..

Run back took about 4 1/2 - 5 hours with very rough conditions... we got back in, negotiated the inlet (which was easy in comparison to the offshore tempest)..and got the boat loaded on the trailer around 2PM. The weather guys predicted 2-4 in the AM, with 3-5 in the late afternoon. Per my notes, it turned much earlier than that (around 11 AM) and the bigger waves and messy chop was quite a bit hirer than that. I would agree that the day was not a small boat day.. and my boat will go through more than my 54 yr old body will put up with..

If you managed to catch BFT, congrats! Just hope that everybody got back safely.... In retrospect, we should have gone north off of Kill Devil Hills for the striper... much closer and less stress on the crew.. BTW, thanks again to the OI charter fleet for leading the way out of the marina and out the inlet. Everybody played well and was very patient staging for the next turn and the surf zone.. I have made about 30 passages out the HI and jave learned to not proceed through the surf zone with a charter boat within a 1/2 mile of my boat, especially in the afternoon.. Gets kind of crazy when a 60' sportfisher elects to barrel through the inlet when one is working their own way through it.

There is always next time... tog at the 2nd island perhaps... come on summer and calmer waters!

Roger
23' WorldCat - Eureka
We saw you out there and again at the service station on the way home. Glad you made it out and back safe... It was definitely a hard core day... There will always be another day and I hope it's CALMER...

I plan on trailering to Hatteras next trip... Let's hope for fair winds and clear skies.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
We never saw the weather window you did. You need to be careful out there in 20+ NE. Any boat breakdown and you are in a world of shinola. fishweather.com bouyweather.com noaa and others all said about 8am shifting NE and up to 25kts.

Im not telling you when and where to fish but I have learned some lessons on safety, the toll it takes on your boat & your body.

I will push it for tournaments and shots at yellowfin limits.

Glad you got back safe.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts

Lucian, how did you guys do?

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Oh yeah, we fish the Fin Gallery out of OI Fishing Center... Great Ride, Capt. & Mate... I'll be chartering him again... The boat has lots of room both in the cabin and cockpit too...

·
Registered
196 Posts
We were one of the 4-5 trailer boats out yesterday. Knew it was gonna be a bit sporty,and it was gonna be a half day.. But, that ish was righteous boi! Called it early once we found out first hand.. That NE was stacking em on the stream.. We did manage two bites.. Broke off a Beast and Killed a nice under at 72.5" - But we beat the **** out of the boat, and ourselves. Broke another TLD 50 on a fish.. thats 2 in two weeks. Broke at least 5 different things.. Speakers falling out, antenaes falling off, hatch lids breaking off. the list goes on. Probably was not worth it. Made it back in decent time thanks to the wake of the High Return.. Rode that baby from the point to the marina.. Thanks fellas! Yea, its probably a good idea for the Trailer boys to sit those days out. Im not going out in that **** anymore unless its in a BIG boat.

Here is our report for those interested...

http://sportfishingtourism.com/?p=334

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
We fished yesterday and it was ruff. Dont know about 8-10 but def. too ruff for a cc. We caught 4 bluefins one under and all the rest giants, 3 nice yellowfins and pulled off a blue marlin. Best was a 90+ incher that was on the leader eaten by a giant shark (maybe a great white).

Rudy

·
Registered
196 Posts
We fished yesterday and it was ruff. Dont know about 8-10 but def. too ruff for a cc. We caught 4 bluefins one under and all the rest giants, 3 nice yellowfins and pulled off a blue marlin. Best was a 90+ incher that was on the leader eaten by a giant shark (maybe a great white).

Rudy
Damn that was a great day. Guessing you were'nt in a cc? Any pics of the sharked tuna or did he take the whole thing? That must have been cool to see.
I know I saw an 8 foot wave out there yesterday. 10' might be pushing it, but the one of the breaking swells in the stream that sent us heading home was 8 all day. I didnt get a chance to get out my tape and measure it, so Ill say 8. But it damn well coulda been 10. Either way, too much for us.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hopefully everyone made it home safely. Sounded a bit dicey for the smaller boats.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts