Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever install there own transducer? Is it hard? Would anyonelike to help me do it tomorrow?

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
I don't like a transducer.I prefer to leave the depthfinder on the simulation mode.:D This way there are always fish under the boat.;-)

Make sure to use 5200 marine sealant on the screws.Buy a small tube-be real careful not to get any on your fingers.Put a small blob in the hole and on the screw threads.This will seal the holes and prevent water from getting in the transom.Try to get the transducer tight to the transom-otherwise you'll get a roostertail when running plus you'll lose the picture of the bottom.Be sure to use cable ties and 5200 those screws also.Try to bring the cable into the boat well above the water line.Take your time-do it right-you'll avoid alot of problems down the road. Skip

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've got a 1900 Keywest and did one years ago. It's so easy, you'll wonder why some charge so much.

- Dae

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
809 Posts
Jonathan,

Skip hit it. It's easy to do, I have done several myself. Read the manufactures instructions on location and make sure you seal the holes good. You may want to make sure you have a counter sink bit. Once you drill your holes counter sinking it just a little will help prevent cracking the gel coat.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
is it hard to install thru hull? been holding off getting new furuno
I installed an Airmar B60 Tilt angle transducer 2 weeks ago for my Furuno. The thru hull provides a better signal and is just as easy if not easier to install than a transom mount. The only hard parts is getting over drilling a 2 3/8" hole in the bottom of your boat:D

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I suggest you get a piece of starboard or just some thick cutting board material. Stick it to the transom with some quick set 5200. Make sure it doesn't extend below the bottom of the hull and check to see that the 5200 doesn't leave a lip below.

Then you can drill as many holes into this material and change the transducer to your heart's content without ever putting one hole in your tansom.

I just rig up a jig to hold the board in place untill the 5200 sets.

I can put up a pic if needed.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The thru-hull tilited element transducers are sweet. Nothing better than drilling a big fat round hole in a perfectly good boat too.

Where in Pasadena ??

The board extension works....but I'm not a big 5200 fan...too permanent for me. There is an aluminum device made that allows you to pull the transducer out of the water when your tied up, if you keep it in the water. The back of sprtfishing or SWS magazine always has it in there.

If it's something that you think you may want to someday keep if you sell the boat I'd go with 4200. 5200 will make part of the boat permanently, at least the plastic part that breaks off when you try to remove the transducer. 4200 and 5200 are great and both do the job, Keeping water out of those holes which is what you need to do. If it's only a transom mount 4200 is cool. If it were thruhull then I'd go with 5200.

Figure that 5200 is permanent.

If it's transom, it's a skimmer, so 1/8" to 1/4" into the clean water stream will do. If you're setup on a trailer and on un-even ground level the deck in both directions using the wheel stand and a jack on the low side axle end. Your deck will have a very slight slope towards the stern, so slight it's insignificant to account for once your level.

Then use a small torpoedo level for setting the transducer face level.

Read thru the directions when spotting location....it will warn you about placing the transducer inline with strakes, water intakes, hull steps, other thru-hulls all of which cause turbulents and air bubbles which kill the signal.

I'd say also whatch the drill bit depth. There's no need to drill deeper than you need to. And you don't want to go all the way through the transom if it's a high bracket and there's no need to drill a one inch deep hole if you only have 3/4" of screw in the hull.

Pack you holes with the 4200 before screwing...coat the screws too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is easy to do. But as everyone has said make sure to read the directions on location and use a good caulk. Good Luck Todd:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Here's a way to mount the 'ducer without drilling below the waterline. I ripped diagonal grooves on the back of the Starboard to give the adhesive more bite:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had problems with the skimmer transducer losing signal at higher speeds. At the advice of the Lowrance Rep I epoxied the skimmer in as a "shoot thru hull" and it works great. The slight signal loss is negligable. Make sure no air bubbles in epoxy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Elizabeth Landing! That is where I live. Todd:yes:

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I particularly like the patina on the bronze thru hull and transducer. Sure sign the bottom is going to fall off. Must be a Parker. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts