Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster, regular reader. I have been reluctant to post feeling out of sync trolling 2-4 rods, no planner boards, crappy FF, limited live line & LTJ action for the last 7 yrs+ out of my 17 whaler. My oldest joined the USMC, but I picked up a buddy that doesn’t mind the raw fishing experience.

We went out on Friday and tried to troll the ledges deep at BP. I’m up to a 7 rod spread as of this summer and didn’t even have them all out before we snagged 1st the first rig in 40 ft of water. We got back at it and hit another snag at 50 ft, got pushed into shallow water by another boat while fighting & snagged 3 more rods. In total lost 3-4 rigs, gained a sunken crab pot that had 3 other rigs on it.

We had lines wet less than 2 hrs. Gave up the troll & tried to jig around 86 with no luck. About to call it day when we saw the man himself. Nice to meet you Shawn. It was only one drift but we saw him in action. That was my sign that I need to make 2011 the year of LJT. I got skunked, now winterized, but I have a mission.

FYI – You can catch fish with the smallest boat & only a few rods. I apologize if I rolled up on you too close live lining in the past, but that is nothing compared to the lack of respect I get every year being in a 17.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Man, I have fished the upper bay in a 17' Logic (plastic boat). I would wager that boat has caught more fish than many of the "premium" boats guys have on here. Trust me, you do not need fancy boats, HD sonar, etc. to catch fish on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
We went out on Friday and tried to troll the ledges deep at BP. I'm up to a 7 rod spread as of this summer and didn't even have them all out before we snagged 1st the first rig in 40 ft of water. We got back at it and hit another snag at 50 ft, got pushed into shallow water by another boat while fighting & snagged 3 more rods. In total lost 3-4 rigs, gained a sunken crab pot that had 3 other rigs on it.
If your getting snagged in 40-50' of water you are fishing way too deep.

The biggest and most expense boat and equiptment in the world is not going to solve a presentation problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree on depth, that was our fault for leaving 1 really deep one out. The message was really about giving the small boats some room because too often I'm pushed aside like what happened to me on Fri that shut us down. I'm hopeful to upgrade in the next 2 years while I try to get better at LJT.

·
Registered
643 Posts
i'm just one boater but i have a lot of respect for guys 'out there' in small boats.

no doubt in my mind they're on a mission. generally my concern is whether or not they're actually safe. no doubt a good helmsman could do a lot more with a smaller boat than i can with mine, and all things being equal, i extend that assumption of skill to a man out there in a small boat. but i also realize that a little inattention or general ignorance on the part of larger boats can swamp a smaller boat and that's the reality of the situation (the inattention and ignorance) out there a lot of the time.

i don't know all the details, but a fisherman was lost a few weeks ago after being swamped while at anchor.

otherwise, your boat has rights as any other. check out this guy and dedicated crew -

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
That was my sign that I need to make 2011 the year of LJT. I got skunked, now winterized, but I have a mission.
Welcome to the world of LTJing....Great quote that Walleye Pete used a few times "Trolling is nice but I would rather be fishing"......

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I hope you do make 2011 your year for LTJ. Every year my New Year's resolution is to catch at least one 40 incher every month of the year by casting. I haven't made it yet but I'm getting closer. Most of the people I fish with and around had 30 inch fish every month this year and I don't think it was a particularly good year. There's a misconception that you have to troll or bait fish to really get the trophies. Not true. Trolling will produce big fish easier for people who only fish that way, but you'll catch lots (LOTS) more fish and increase your chances of a true record by jigging. I know of two instances and have heard of others where the Maryland state record was probably exceeded but the fish was released. The current standing world record was caught on light tackle. Come on!

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I hope you do make 2011 your year for LTJ. Every year my New Year's resolution is to catch at least one 40 incher every month of the year by casting. I haven't made it yet but I'm getting closer. Most of the people I fish with and around had 30 inch fish every month this year and I don't think it was a particularly good year. There's a misconception that you have to troll or bait fish to really get the trophies. Not true. Trolling will produce big fish easier for people who only fish that way, but you'll catch lots (LOTS) more fish and increase your chances of a true record by jigging. I know of two instances and have heard of others where the Maryland state record was probably exceeded but the fish was released. The current standing world record was caught on light tackle. Come on!
Shawn?....... I think you brought back too much shine.:yes:

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Judging by some of the drunk dialing and listserve nonsense I did last night, I'd say you're right. But I do think the chances are better for landing a new state or world record on light tackle.
If we are talking about the MD portion of the Bay, and the same current angling pressure, I don't completely disagree, I put it closer to 50/50 though, varying by season and location of course. The next World Record will be caught in the next several years, I don't think it will come from MD waters (though its not impossible). In MNSHO, chasing big fish, is a completely different ball game than catching #s, not that you can't do both, but I think you compromise one at the expense of the other when you try to do both.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
The current standing world record was caught on light tackle. Come on!
Since when is a surf rod considered light tackle? I can put more pressure on a fish using a surf rod than I can with a trolling rod.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I apologize if I rolled up on you too close live lining in the past, but that is nothing compared to the lack of respect I get every year being in a 17.
Unfortunately, you'll get that same lack of respect if you are in a 37 footer. Guys are always going to try your patience no matter what size boat you are in. Nothing wrong with a 17 whaler, you fish it the days you can and go on someone elses boat when you can't. Get yourself a decent color FF and start recording your fishing data in a log book. You'll start to develop patterns and catching fish on the jig becomes easier.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I do think the chances are better for landing a new state or world record on light tackle.
If someone is record hunting, I think bait fishing would stand the best chance. I believe the biggest fish are lazy and one would stand more of a chance luring with scent and taste than trying to get a fish to bite solely based on reaction to an artificial lure (trolling or jigging). I agree with Shawn that light tackle fishing can produce more fish on a given trip if you find the concentrations of fish, therefore those that put the time in to find the fish may have a greater chance at a record based on a number of fish. They can also work water that trollers cannot. For example it is tough to troll in very shallow water inside where the crab pots are or in areas of structure or clear thermal water change. I think the very large fish feed in the shallower waters at first light or dusk. Even the current world record was caught out the surf (shallow water) during a low light storm. Ever notice that the 60lb+ fish that are caught out of the area are caught on bait and in shallow water areas or of areas of defined structure and currents? Heck my fathers friend had 2 fish over 50lbs in one trip last year on cut bunker in DE bay in less than 10' of water. This isnt saying that trolling doesnt produce a higher percentage of "trophy fish" that are feeding on schools of bunker in the open waters of the bay. With that gives those that troll a chance at the record too. I just think that if one wanted to solely seek to break a state or world record that the best chances are with bait (live or dead) in the shallower waters in lower light conditions (dusk or dawn) and put in a lot of time to find areas in which they feed. I personally like to mix some quantity with quality and dont have the patience to put that kind of time in. I do think it could come from Maryland. However, other areas may have a larger window of opportunity due to our season lengths and the fact that DNR states that many migrant fish spend less than week in the bay when they come in.

BTW, there are days and areas where I would love to have your boat.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Welcome to the board in a posting way welcome6
While boats are cool and having a fancy on is nice, the fish do not know the difference. My brother and I have caught more stripers then we can count out of our 12 foot Lowe Jon boat with 6hp Johnson Seahorse engine. The fish never commented on what the boat looked like:))

Welcome aboard, thanks for the report, look forward to reading you around the board a lot more:thumbup::fishing2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
If someone is record hunting, I think bait fishing would stand the best chance. I believe the biggest fish are lazy and one would stand more of a chance luring with sent and taste than trying to get a fish to bite solely based on reaction to an artificial lure (trolling or jigging). I agree with Shawn that light tackle fishing can produce more fish on a given trip if you find the concentrations of fish, therefore those that put the time in to find the fish may have a greater chance at a record based on a number of fish. They can also work water that trollers cannot. For example it is tough to troll in very shallow water inside where the crab pots are or in areas of structure or clear thermal water change. I think the very large fish feed in the shallower waters at first light or dusk. Even the current world record was caught out the surf (shallow water) during a low light storm. Ever notice that the 60lb+ fish that are caught out of the area are caught on bait and in shallow water areas or of areas of defined structure and currents? Heck my fathers friend had 2 fish over 50lbs in one trip last year on cut bunker in DE bay in less than 10' of water. This isnt saying that trolling doesnt produce a higher percentage of "trophy fish" that are feeding on schools of bunker in the open waters of the bay. With that gives those that troll a chance at the record too. I just think that if one wanted to solely seek to break a state or world record that the best chances are with bait (live or dead) in the shallower waters in lower light conditions (dusk or dawn) and put in a lot of time to find areas in which they feed. I personally like to mix some quantity with quality and dont have the patience to put that kind of time in. I do think it could come from Maryland. However, other areas may have a larger window of opportunity due to our season lengths and the fact that DNR states that many migrant fish spend less than week in the bay when they come in.

BTW, there are days and areas where I would love to have your boat.
That's how I caught my personal best... 42"... around 7:30 PM on cut menhaden off of a pier...casting into 10-15' of water when 8-10" menhaden were running around us. Just depends on the time of year.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Since when is a surf rod considered light tackle? I can put more pressure on a fish using a surf rod than I can with a trolling rod.
Intuitively, it would seem to me that the fish would have an advantage (more leverage) if you were using a longer rod. Is that truly the case?

(I don't know the answer, just curious)

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Intuitively, it would seem to me that the fish would have an advantage (more leverage) if you were using a longer rod. Is that truly the case?

(I don't know the answer, just curious)
A wise old gentleman, and one of the best surf guys I've ever known from whom I learned a lot about surf fishing (back in my "fish from a boat don't count" misspent youth) said to me (and I didn't get it at the time) work the lure with your top guide, fight the fish with the bottom one. Wow, flashback to the late 70s, trippy man. Oh, and I never bought into the "I was slinging a 5 1/2" rebel into a Noreaster with a jetty stick and 20lb ande, even if it was filled with water and hooks solder wrapped, try it sometime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.